Campine

Information and Characteristics of breeds in New Zealand. One topic per breed
Forum rules
If you would like to add a breed, please do so.
Try to include as much detail about the breed as you know.
Country of origin, colours available, colour of eggs and any personal experiences etc.

All photo's need to be e-mailed to myself to be stored on a permanent server. Please PM me for e-mail address (to avoid SPAM)
Please do not take it personally if your post is edited - Moderators and Site Admin's might edit posts to make sure they are uniformed.
PLEASE LIMIT CHIT-CHAT - This is a database for information and not a discussion forum - Please use the Breeds, Breeders and Breeding forum to discuss these breeds.

Campine

Postby CountryGirlNZ » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:30 pm

The Campine is an ancient breed, originating in Belgium’s Campine region. They only come in two colours - the Gold and Silver. They are a fairly small, tightly-feathered breed with golden neck feathers (or silver in the case of silver birds) and iridescent black-green barred bodies. The roosters are ‘hen feathered’ (which means they don’t have the characteristic saddle feathers of other roosters) and the hens and roosters are nearly identical in feather coloration.

The breed is a lively one that prefers to be out and about free ranging most of the time. The birds are very alert and inquisitive; some can be rather wild in nature whilst others can be very friendly. They are classed as a non-sitting utility fowl, laying medium sized white eggs. Economical to keep with good feed-to-egg conversion rates. The chicks feather quickly but mature relatively late.

Purpose: Egg layer
Classification: Light
Origin: Belgium
Egg Colour: White
Egg Numbers: 200-250 (depending on the strain)
"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg.” - Samuel Butler
CountryGirlNZ
Pheasant
Pheasant

Re: Campine

Postby DRG » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:43 pm

(now this makes me want to have Campines too.. THANKS!) :evil:

Poultry Central. The best thing in NZ since Chickens
DRG
Pheasant
Pheasant

Return to Our Breed Database