Dorking

Information and Characteristics of breeds in New Zealand. One topic per breed
Forum rules
If you would like to add a breed, please do so.
Try to include as much detail about the breed as you know.
Country of origin, colours available, colour of eggs and any personal experiences etc.

All photo's need to be e-mailed to myself to be stored on a permanent server. Please PM me for e-mail address (to avoid SPAM)
Please do not take it personally if your post is edited - Moderators and Site Admin's might edit posts to make sure they are uniformed.
PLEASE LIMIT CHIT-CHAT - This is a database for information and not a discussion forum - Please use the Breeds, Breeders and Breeding forum to discuss these breeds.

Dorking

Postby Raven81 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:30 pm

History
One of the earliest known mentions of the Dorking was by the Roman agricultural writer Columella during the reign of Julius Caesar. In his text, Rei rusticae libri, he described the breed as, "square-framed, large and broad-breasted, with big heads and small upright combs...the purest breed being five-clawed". Although Caesar noted that poultry was already raised in Britain prior to his invasions in 55–54 BC, the Red Dorking is believed to have been introduced in Great Britain by the Romans at an early date where much of its development continued to take place.

They appeared in the first British poultry show in 1845, together with the Sussex breed, which is believed to be derived from the Dorking. The birds are named after the market town of Dorking in Surrey which in the nineteenth century became one of the main centres of production.

Characteristics
The Dorking has a rectangular body with very short, five-toed legs. Due to its relatively large comb it generally requires protection in cold weather. Dorkings are also well known for their versatility as a breed for both egg and meat production. It is one of the few breeds with red earlobes that produces a white-shelled egg. The skin colour beneath the feathers is white. The standard weight is 9 pounds for a cock, 8 pounds for a cockerel, 7 pounds for a hen, and 6 pounds for a pullet. Furthermore, the breed is very docile. The bird has five recognized varieties: White, Silver-grey, Red, Dark and Cuckoo.

They are noted for being exceptionally broody at times in entire flocks refusing to lay and preferring to set on eggs to incubate them.
Last edited by Raven81 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness is a journey not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Re: Dorking

Postby Heir » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:23 am

Does anyone have any Dorking pictures? Please email them through to me if you do!
Visit my website http://www.chickensbydesign.co.nz
۞ Sverige ●▒۞
Heir
Emu
Emu

Postby 99chooks » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:44 am

I breed Silver Pencilled Dorkings, I will try to snap some pics.
99chooks
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Raven81 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:07 pm

Sorry i moved the pics & they disappeared from here.
young rooster
adult rooster
hens
"Happiness is a journey not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Heir » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:20 pm

Would you mind emailing them through? That way we can host them forever!
Visit my website http://www.chickensbydesign.co.nz
۞ Sverige ●▒۞
Heir
Emu
Emu

Postby Raven81 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:34 pm

where do you want them emailed to??
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Dorkings

Postby ChickyMum » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:21 am

I'm resurrecting this thread as hopefully in 9 days I will have some little dorking chickies running around :D

I've read that they can be sexed from day one with the females having a black stripe down the back of their heads while the males have little or no markings - is this correct?
I currently have no chickens due to travelling
ChickyMum
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Graham48 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:14 pm

Not sure about day one but the hens get their brown chest feathers pretty quickly
Graham48
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:20 pm

Either the males or the females have a lighter down colour. When it was first explained to me the lady got it the wrong way round.
Also I wouldn't rely on it unless you can be absolutely certain that they are well bred (I mean that the breeder has ascertained for several generations that his/her line can indeed be sexed at hatching. If you've got them from the source I think you've got them from - she's only scrambled up a breeding group this season from whatever she could get - but having said this she's selling sexed chicks of this breed so may be it works - don't know. I didn't cull the single 'male' chick - which turned out to be the only pullet.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby 99chooks » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:43 pm

The female chicks have a pronounced pointed brown stripe on their head whereas the male has little or no brown stripe.

99chooks
Turkey
Turkey

Postby buzzard » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:14 pm

Marina wrote:..Also I wouldn't rely on it unless you can be absolutely certain that they are well bred (I mean that the breeder has ascertained for several generations that his/her line can indeed be sexed at hatching. ...

I agree, males still should have an arrow, with unbroken dorsal stripes, its the darkness of the eye stripe is what is most reliable, if you know for sure that the line breeds true
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Chookhen » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:42 am

I have two Silver Gray hens, 4 years from someone in the north island area.
Chookhen
Quail
Quail

Postby Chookhen » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:42 pm

[post removed]
Chookhen
Quail
Quail

Postby trtapp » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:55 am

Dorking hen

trtapp
Chick
Chick

Postby trtapp » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:28 pm

Dorkings in New Zealand
I am breeding to the NZ Standard but should my Silver Grey Dorking hens have a flopped over comb like UK and USA standard
As mine seem to have a small fingered comb is this something I should be working on ?
trtapp
Chick
Chick

Return to Our Breed Database