Your Own Breed/ Your Own Landrace

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Your Own Breed/ Your Own Landrace

Postby Mitsy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:21 am

I've read some great stories about people creating their own breeds of chicken. Also people trying to create artificial landraces. I'm wondering how many here are trying this? And what methods are you using, with how large a pool of breeders? I'd love to hear!
Mitsy
Chick
Chick

Re: Your Own Breed/ Your Own Landrace

Postby Marina » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi Mitsy and welcome to PC.

I've heard of very few people trying to create their very own poultry breed but most people don't have the stamina to go the whole way.

Here in New Zealand we only have a small proportion of all the poultry breeds that are already in existence and within these breeds we have far fewer colours than we could have. Therefore most people who take on such a project create a new Orington or Wyandotte colour, or a new Pekin colour. I know many many such people - and that includes myself.

I made Blue Salmon Faverolles as few years back - and guess what - no-one wanted them. When people rang me asking to purchase fertile eggs I told them half of the chicks will be Salmon, the other half Blue Salmon. I don't recall selling a single dozen of eggs as people wanted just Salmon.

It's a long process, at least 5 years to get a new colour right (unless you have the facilities to raise hundreds of chicks every season). New Zealand is just too small to support very many poultry breeds.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Mitsy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:59 pm

Thanks Marina for your reply.
Yes I have seen a few examples of people selling hatching eggs of 'colours under development' on Trade Me. One was of Silkie 'paint' eggs, which would produce a proportion of chicks with white down that had what looked like black painted blotches on it. It looked interesting. The seller wrote that she made this colour by utilising a cross several generations back.
I wonder why nobody wanted your Blue Salmon Faverolle eggs? All I can think of is that people only want 'recognised' colours they can show. Not very adventurous!
Regarding people making their own breeds, there is also a lady on Trade Me who has developed her own breed - she calls them 'Waipahi' hens. I think they look neat. I would love to hear the story of how she developed/ is developing this breed! Surely there must be more people who are doing similar things? But perhaps they may be too busy to reply to this forum :lol:
Mitsy
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:25 pm

The lady from Waipahi posted about her development work here on PC under the name 'gonetothedogs'. Here is the Cochin thread where she posted most of it:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=141&hilit=cochin&start=240

She wanted to breed Cochins but as she never really could be bothered to select for yellow legs and some crests had crept in she got frustrated (and also criticized as she sold white legged birds as Cochins; so she just went ahead and called her chickens 'Waipahi chickens'.

They are neat looking chooks but their traits have not been fixed which means you might get some with and some without crests, some with white, some with yellow legs. Comb also is a surprise when they hatch so she is far from having her own breed.

There are a lot of people reading on this forum but very few replies are being posted since Facebook groups have become popular. Also most topics have been dealt with and the search function works very well. On facebook most people get tired of scrolling down and finding stuff irrelevant to them. Sometimes we have over 100 people reading at the same time. Record was : 'Most users ever online was 272 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:35 am'

Just had a look at one of her current ads and they're just crossbred chickens, most are not standard colours and the Buff birds are Buff Cochins, developed by Roger McCormick from Motueka, formerly from Ashburton.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Mitsy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:02 am

Thanks for the thread link - fascinating reading.
It's a shame about the dearth of activity on here... especially as I don't have facebook!
I like the Waipahis as they are an example of somebody trying to do something different and interesting. The top-knotted ones look the nicest - but, I think they would all be much better bantam sized :) !
Mitsy
Chick
Chick

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders