Sex linking Sussex

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Sex linking Sussex

Postby atikin » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Hello

Am wondering if a speckled Sussex rooster would be considered "red" if i was to breed him over a light Sussex hen to produce sex linked chicks?

And what would the offsprings be?

Am wanting a good heavy breed suitable for eating and sexed linked, like the Rhode island red - light Sussex cross
but would be good to produce pure breed chicks

Thanks and any other sex linked breeds you have found to have worked
atikin
Pheasant
Pheasant

Re: Sex linking Sussex

Postby nhb » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:05 pm

Barred rock and north Holland blue are both sex linked if you know what you are looking for nhb on day one.
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Hi Atikin,

nice to see you again :D

If you already have Light Sussex females why don't you get a Buff Sussex rooster for them? You'll get Buff Sussex pullets. Sometimes these pullets are a bit lighter in their colouring than they should be but I've done that cross many years ago and got good Buff Sussex pullets out of it.

A friend of mine has Black Plymouth Rocks. If you put a Black Rock male over Barred Rock females you get Black Rock pullets.

The above are just a couple of examples.

If you use your Speckled Sussex rooster over your Light Sussex hens you should get a sex linked cross BUT the offspring won't be a pure breed ever. There are several pattern genes involved in making the Speckled Sussex and they may make it difficult to tell the difference between the sexes at a young age. If you use a GLW male over SLW females you should get sex linked chicks but in reality there is little difference between the chicks when they hatch. I've done this cross and wasn't able to tell.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby atikin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Thank You everyone

Might look into The Buff Sussex then
And I am correct in thinking that the coronation Sussex wont work as a sex linked hen to breed from

Have done some very pretty crosses with a golden campine over light sussex but found they are too flighty like the campine and not meaty enough for eating, I have someone who is going to take the rooster chicks and raise them for eating so want a good sized fast growing bird
atikin
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Marina » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:25 am

The Coronation Sussex female is just as suited as the Light Sussex female to breed sex-linked chicks with a Buff Sussex rooster. The coronation has 2 copies of lavender which dilutes the black markings. It has no influence on the silver base. If you use a Buff Sussex rooster who should not carry lavender, all your pullet chicks will have the phenotype of a Buff Sussex.

In other words - people who buy your pullet chicks won't know whether their mother was a Coronation or Light Sussex.

I've just had a look at TradeMe and there seems to be a decent looking cockerel for sale - in Auckland. The trio that is for sale has quite a dark looking rooster but I wouldn't be afraid of using a darker bird over Light Sussex hens as this may give the resulting pullet chicks a slightly deeper colouring.

You could also try to get a New Hampshire Red rooster for your hens. I do know a breeder just north of Ashburton who breeds them. If you select a male with good black hackle markings you should also get pullets that look like Buff Sussex as the white leg colour is dominant over yellow. That will give you excellent layers - and cockerels worth raising for meat. Don't worry about what the pullets hide (yellow legs, lavender) - you'll breed for the backyard market and these people want something with a name that lays well. If they breed from them then they might get a surprise but if you tell them they are from a sex-linked cross they have nothing to complain about.

How many Light Sussex and Coronation Sussex females have you got?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby atikin » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:24 pm

Great to know about the coronation Sussex

Won't be getting a rooster till late this year so just thinking about it now

I have one coronation Sussex and one light Sussex both girls
atikin
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Marina » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:32 pm

It's always good to have a plan. You may not exactly get what you are after later this year but anything red and big will be an option.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders