Sebright questions ???

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Sebright questions ???

Postby vickywin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:57 pm

Howdy,

I recently bought some baby golden sebrights, and I know quite a lot about them, but there are a couple of questions I need answering that the internet hasn't provided me with- I am hoping an expert on these birds would be able to answer these, thanks. Anyway here goes.

1) Can you keep more than one sebright rooster with another sebright rooster together? (The reason I'm asking this is because I have seen and heard of people doing this. Wont they fight?)
2) Can you keep a sebright rooster with a silkie rooster?
3) How old should they be when I clip their wings? (Apparently these are very flighty birds even at a young age- and I want to do it as EARLY as possible)
4) Do the hens get on with other breeds such as silkies, shavers, araucanas and pekins?

I am aware of roosters fighting, I only have one rooster which is a white silkie, I had to get rid of the other, so I know roosters CAN fight. Especially the larger breeds which I seperate.

Thanks.

_vicky_
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
1x Silkie rooster
5x Silkie hens (2 white, 2 black, 1 partridge)
Pen Pineapple Apple Pen ringtones
5x Golden sebrights
3x Brown shavers
1x Pekin (Cotton)
best ringtones
7x Brown Leghorns
5x Araucanas
1x Pekin x silkie
13x Silkie x ?
3x Guinea Fowl
2x Pekin ducks
vickywin
Chick
Chick

Re: Sebright questions ???

Postby Marina » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:11 am

Nobody can give you a straight answer regarding your multiple rooster question. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Here are a few things you can do to make it more likely they get along (it's 'or', not 'and'):

Raise them together

If you have an older existing rooster, introduce the new one when he is still doing the chick chirps - i.e. well befoe he starts to crow.

Put them together when they are moulting and there are no laying females around

Give them plenty of space so each of them can wander off with his hens

Provide plenty of hens so that it gets too much for 1 rooster

Regarding wing clipping: Chicks grow their adult feathers some time around 16 to 20 weeks. You can't clip them before they grow out and if you want to do it early you might have to do it a couple of times to make sure all flight feathers on ONE WING are clipped. Clipping only 1 wing is more effective than clipping both as the bird gets out of balance and can't 'aim'. It's amazing how high some breeds can jump and that, combined with a bit of lift from clipped wings, can be enough to counteract what you want to achieve.

In confinement I don't think it's a good idea to keep Sebrights with other breeds as they are very small. Silkies can be very bossy but it varies greatly between individuals (same applies to roosters) so all you can do is try it out and see what happens.

If you combine chooks into one flock I'd do it in the late afternoon when I have time to watch them so I can interfere if necessary. A bit of pecking is no problem - it's normal - but as soon as one bird is trying to hide away in a corner and another bird is pecking it, either the bully or the pecked bird needs to be taken out asap. As soon as blood is drawn chooks turn into cannibals.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders