Araucana cockeral temperament and do 2 roos work?

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Araucana cockeral temperament and do 2 roos work?

Postby eae » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi all,

My husband has fallen in love with a beautiful white 15 week old araucana, who, until yesterday morning, we thought was a hen (oops). However, crowing doesn't lie. My husband is quite sad and is looking for ways to keep him. Previously we'd always worked on the principle that we'd only have one rooster at a time, and because we have 2 bantam hens, we'd always have a bantam rooster. Well, that and because our birds free range all the time, we didn't want to have the possibility of a large aggressive rooster just wandering around.

Wolga - is this a pure araucana or one of the leghorn crosses? Don't care, just wondering so we can attempt to gauge his probably temperament. What are your thoughts on that?

In our "older" flock we currently have a 4 year old bantam wyandotte roo and 10 hens (including the 2 bantams). Then there are the pullets we've hatched this season - 5 between 11 and 15 weeks, and 5 more at 7 weeks old. The araucana and all the young ones (except the 7w who are still with their mother) all stick together and rarely mingle with the others. I was wondering is it just because they haven't quite got to the age of integrating or are they forming their own flock with the araucana? If so, does this bode well for relative harmony between him and our current rooster? Also, in that young group we have 2 houdans, who aren't huge girls.. right? Would an araucana be too heavy for them?

Our major concerns are him a) killing our current rooster b) breaking our bantam hens c) being aggressive to us.

Thoughts?
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Re: Araucana cockeral temperament and do 2 roos work?

Postby wolga » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi eae !
I was wondering about the chicks I gave you just a few days ago. Did the others turn out to be pullets ?
In general all chooks and roosters that grow up together will be ok and find their place in the flock. I have some
breeding groups with 2 or even 3 roosters in them and it works out just fine. Araucanas are a light breed so no
need to worry about them being too heavy. Your Bantam roo might find that he's not the top dog anymore but I doubt
it very much that they would kill each other. Bringing in a new rooster is a different story.
Judging from the picture I would say he's a Leghorn cross. The legs look quite yellow and that points into that direction.
With so many hens around I wouldn't worry about your bantams. He would probably ignore them. Regarding the aggression.
Only time will tell. But all of my boys are very well mannered.
wolga

Postby Marina » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:11 am

We have mainly heavy breeds but used to have Araucanas,too. Most of our roosters and the growing cockerels are free ranging together. We had a wee bantam rooster for 11 years and for 9 of those years he was the top rooster. Only when he was no longer fertile at 9 years old one of the other roosters superseeded him. If your roosters have got space to find a quiet corner they should be ok, especially as the newcomer grew up at your place.

In a free range situation when hens are free ranging, too, you'll find that small groups will form. When we had hens free ranging, most roosters had 1 female and the top rooster had several. Some younger ones went withour female company.

Game roosters may fight to the death but most breeders have eliminated the agressive individuals from their breeding program.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Thank you both, that is encouraging :) We'll give it a go and see how things go over the next few months. It is lovely hearing his creaky little crow develop. The first time I heard him it was about 6am and I thought one of our cats was dying on the driveway - dashed outside, only to register afterward that I passed all 3 cats in the living room on the way. Then the sound came again, from the chicken coop. There he was, stretching his neck up giving it his best, lol.

Wolga - your birds have been a surprise hit, my husband is just in love with their shape and curious personality. Unfortunately we lost the black one to illness. At about 8 weeks it started limping, limp got worse quickly, isolated it into a cat cage, within a couple of days it couldn't bear weight on the leg at all, but was still able to move it - does that rule out Mareks? We gave it a few more days but by that point it was starting to act like a sick chicken as well, not just a sore one, so off it went. We had the almost exact same thing happen with a houdan chick of similar age as well, about 3 weeks later. The lavender one was most certainly a boy, very visible red comb and face from a young age, thick legs etc. So he went a couple of weeks ago. The fourth, white with a couple of black spots and grey legs, is a pullet thankfully :) Looking forward to see if she lays tinted eggs.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby wolga » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:32 pm

The splash pullets will definitely lay blue eggs. I would expect them
to start laying in 4-6 weeks.
wolga

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders