Sussex - few questions!

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Sussex - few questions!

Postby westwanderer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:53 pm

Brand-new to chook breeding here - hi!
Would be great if anyone could share their wisdom regarding choosing heritage breeds. We've always had shavers until now, but want to expand. We want fairly hardy chooks that lay well and will cope with being free range on a farm. AND are able to live together with shavers, if we get shavers again later on.
Just looking at a few different breeds and we've narrowed it down to Coronation Sussex or Plymouth Rock. Could anyone advise which of those two breeds would be better?
Also, would two pullets and a rooster be a good starting point?

Thanks!!
Rhonda
westwanderer
Chick
Chick

Re: Sussex - few questions!

Postby Marina » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:18 am

Hi Westwanderer and welcome to PC :D

Both Barred Plymouth Rocks and Coronation Sussex are large, calm heavy breeds - very different from Shavers. They both are good breeds to have. Coronation Sussex have quite a bit of a tendency to go broody. With heritage breeds it's often not possible to get what you want when you want it so if you like both breeds I'd go for the one that becomes available first.

Shavers are VERY territorial and it's difficult to add heavy breeds to an existing flock of Shavers but if you get the heritage breed birds first and add the Shavers later you might be able to keep them as a flock, especially if they can free range in a large area.

A rooster and two hens is a good starting point.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Re: Sussex - few questions!

Postby Foehn » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:38 am

I haven't had much to do with sussex, but do breed barnevelders. I find they are good layers, and are definitely good at foraging. The dark brown eggs seem to be well liked by those I sell to.
Foehn
Quail
Quail

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders