Partridge Wyandotte

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Partridge Wyandotte

Postby PantherRat » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:13 pm

Hi Guys

I am looking to get a few partridge wyandottes. I live in Warkworth so ideally from the Rodney/Auckland area. Does anyone know where I can get them from ?

Thanks
Victoria
PantherRat
Chick
Chick

Re: Partridge Wyandotte

Postby Marina » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:01 am

Hi PantherRat and welcome to PC :D

Partridge Wyandottes are still a new development so not many breeders have the real thing. As far as I know most of the development is taking place here in Canterbury. Carting a trio with Cool Critters Cartage costs $60 I think and they provide the cage which is very convenient. I think I'll send Owl a message to confirm prices and report back.

Many people are reluctant to use a pet transporter but to get started it's better to get a trio, not eggs, unless there is a supplier close by and willing to sell.

The problem with a relatively new development is that there are bound to be throwbacks. A good breeder will make sure that the birds he or she sells are up to standard but with eggs it's hit and miss.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby PantherRat » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:07 pm

Hi Marina

Thank you for getting back to me and thank you for the information. I am relatively new to having chickens, so am keen for birds and not eggs anyway so that would work. I would appreciate it if you could find the information from Owl, I have to say I was unsure as to how I would get them if they were not within the area we live in but a pet transporter does seem a good option !

Thanks again
PantherRat
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:13 pm

I just remembered that Precious Poultry near Thames do have Partridge Wyandottes. They are not listed on their website but it could be worth asking.

I've messaged Owl but it's likely she's on her August run. I haven't heard back from her yet but as soon as I do I'll let you know.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby PantherRat » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:03 am

Thanks Marina, will contact them and see what they say !
PantherRat
Chick
Chick

Postby Kracka » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:54 pm

The current APPA club president - Robert Kern - keeps Wyandotte bantams, think he has Partridge - he's up past Kumeu, long way past up that peninsula
if you search on facebook for the Auckland Poultry & Pigeon Assoc - post a question on there, Robert should see it - he's a little busy building a house etc at the moment, so might take a while to respond
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:58 pm

oh, I should say - you typically only find the colouring of Partridge in the bantam size (unless someone has been working on getting this colour in the full sized Wyandotte)

did you want bantams? or the large Wyandotte's?
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders