Sicilian buttercup vs golden campine

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Sicilian buttercup vs golden campine

Postby eae » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:55 pm

How to choose? From what I can tell these two have very similar looks, except for of course that unique comb of the sicilian buttercup. I'm choosing one of these purely because I think they're beautiful to look at :) However, if one tended to lay better than the other, or have a slightly better personality, that would tip the scales.

According to the rare breeds website, there are breeders of both within driving distance of me (silician buttercup in Huntly and golden campine in Whangarei), or I could have eggs posted from further afield if there are better strains to be had elsewhere.

I'd appreciate any comments.
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Re: Sicilian buttercup vs golden campine

Postby nhb » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:05 pm

I have buttercups great layer cool birds ,a bit stand offish being Mediterranean but get a lot better with age. I'm in the south island but if you want a good laying strain go to precious poultry in the north island they have their own website.
Proud owner and breeder, of North Holland blues and Sicilian buttercups
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby eae » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:55 pm

Thanks -- I just had a look at Precious Poultry's website, and they note that their buttercups are good layers, but have more a silver duckwing colouring rather than being similar to the gold campine. While that is still lovely, I was more taken with the other look. What colouring do yours have? I didn't realise there were variants..
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby nhb » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:55 pm

To my knowledge we only have silver duckwing in nz. I have one cuckoo coloured one are waiting to see how it developes then might work on them.
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby eae » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:23 pm

Ahh, ok - so I'd have been looking a long time for the gold. One of the pitfalls at looking around on the wider internet ;-)

I think for this year I'll see if I can get a couple of the silver from Precious Poultry. While I love the gold campine look, good laying and personality trump beauty. Well, for this year at least. Its not like the silver SB are a boring looking bird :)
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby wolga » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:03 pm

I’ve played with the idea of getting some Buttercups myself but I’m not a big fan of the
silver duckwing colour and would prefer the original colour which is like the golden pencilled Hamburgs.
So I was thinking of crossbreeding the two to get the colouring of the golden pencilled Hamburg.
Considering that both are european light breeds and have very similar characteristics . It would of
course take a couple of years to get the buttercup comb right . Any thoughts or suggestions ?
Last edited by wolga on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolga

Postby nhb » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:09 pm

I know in Australia they are using hamburgs over buttercups to play with and develop colours.
nhb
Quail
Quail

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders