Silver Laced Orpingtons in NZ???

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Silver Laced Orpingtons in NZ???

Postby kiwisollas » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:37 am

Has anybody attempted to breed these as a colour variety here in NZ? I would be very interested to hear anything about it. Couldn't find anything about their genetics on the internet. Interested in it as a possible project but want to do some research first. Regards, Steff.
kiwisollas
Chick
Chick

Re: Silver Laced Orpingtons in NZ???

Postby Marina » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:59 pm

You can rest assured that someone somewhere is working on a Silver Laced Orpington. First cross would be Black Orpington x Silver Laced Wyandotte. Preferrably the SLW should be the male. Once you've done the first cross you try to get rid of rose comb, gold, yellow legs (although the first cross will all show white legs), Extended black and probably a few other things while attempting to produce offspring with good lacing. The first cross is the easy part. For the second generation it depends on your breeding facilities - whether you can produce a couple of thousand chicks in the second season to give you a few good ones to choose your future breeding birds from - or not. If you can only hatch and raise a few dozen chicks per season it will probably take 5 or more seasons to come up with something reasonable.

You might well be able to pick up a first cross from someone which might even show a bit of lacing or a laced bird with a single comb which would make things a lot easier.

I've done a bit of dabbling with colours and breeds but there were 'only' 3 different traits. With one lot it's generation 5 and hundreds of chicks and I've got 1 good example. With at least 4 different traits plus all the lacing genes you'll be looking at a lot more chicks or a lot more generations.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby kiwisollas » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:00 pm

Thank you for this very informative answer!! Food for thought and more internet surfing. So sad that it is so 'difficult' to import new colours etc. Have a SLW roo and black and white Orps, might just try a bit and see how far (not more likely not) I get. Should still produce nice meat birds...
kiwisollas
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:14 pm

Oh yes, you'll get very meaty birds. You'll also get all sorts of very interesting (non-standard) colours. It's a very intersting experience but most people don't last the distance unless it's a very simple project.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders