Sexlinked Breeding

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Re: Sexlinked Breeding

Postby sewren » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:25 pm

Marina wrote:I have an old grate from a fridge which I put in front of the nest when pipping has started so she can't get out :mrgreen:

That's a good idea - it's the size of the lip on the nest box I'm worried about - if a chick got out then it would never get back in but blocking both her and the chicks in would probably work....

nhb - I candled on Monday and 7 of the eggs are cooking away nicely so fingers crossed should be a good hatch if she keeps doing what she's doing! :D
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby AlisonS » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:49 pm

Oh Kracka, that's sad about the one chick.

My girl was sitting half out of the nest, and only on half the eggs. So who knows which eggs have had warmth the whole time... She seems to be settling in to the rabbit hutch now, so I think I'll leave her on those eggs for now and collect all fresh eggs and swap them over once I have a decent number. Both my Langshan hens are laying after one had a go at being broody, so should only be a week until I have 10 Langshan eggs, and wont put any Langshan/BR in this time. At least I'll know if she's going to sit properly by then.
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Kracka » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:32 pm

the next hen I tried is being a perfect angel (and the babies are the right colour in her opinion - she's Pekin & hasn't realised she's raising a Silkie & a Hamburg!)
I give her a pat, she enlarges & looks a bit like a grey hovercraft, funny.
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby seatil » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:55 pm

I had a hen hatch chicks 6 weeks ago. Well, she got as far as hatching two before I yoinked the surviving chick out from under her, stole her remaining hatching eggs and wondered how the heck she managed to eat everything except the head of the other.

Annoyingly she disappeared into the shelterbelt (and beyond I suspect) about 2.5-3 weeks ago, so heaven only knows if she'll show up with any chicks in tow, or if she'll have an 8 course dinner of chick, chick and more chick. :/
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby sewren » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:18 pm

AlisonS wrote:My girl was sitting half out of the nest, and only on half the eggs. So who knows which eggs have had warmth the whole time... She seems to be settling in to the rabbit hutch now, so I think I'll leave her on those eggs for now and collect all fresh eggs and swap them over once I have a decent number. Both my Langshan hens are laying after one had a go at being broody, so should only be a week until I have 10 Langshan eggs, and wont put any Langshan/BR in this time. At least I'll know if she's going to sit properly by then.

It might be worth candling the eggs before replacing them just to check whether any are developing - it would be a shame to ditch half-developed eggs! Although then you still have the problem of knowing which are the pure Langshans...
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby nhb » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:46 pm

Good to hear that seven are cooking away nicely. Let me know how the hatch goes sewren
Proud owner and breeder, of North Holland blues and Sicilian buttercups
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby AlisonS » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:21 am

sewren wrote:
AlisonS wrote:My girl was sitting half out of the nest, and only on half the eggs. So who knows which eggs have had warmth the whole time... She seems to be settling in to the rabbit hutch now, so I think I'll leave her on those eggs for now and collect all fresh eggs and swap them over once I have a decent number. Both my Langshan hens are laying after one had a go at being broody, so should only be a week until I have 10 Langshan eggs, and wont put any Langshan/BR in this time. At least I'll know if she's going to sit properly by then.

It might be worth candling the eggs before replacing them just to check whether any are developing - it would be a shame to ditch half-developed eggs! Although then you still have the problem of knowing which are the pure Langshans...

Yes I'm trying not to think about ditching developing eggs... I probably will end up checking them because I can't help myself. Because now my rooster is developing sores on his comb that might be fowl pox and leave him infertile!
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Kracka » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:40 pm

how the heck she managed to eat everything except the head of the other

gruesome, sometimes, aren't they! :shock: :?
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby seatil » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:53 am

Kracka wrote:
how the heck she managed to eat everything except the head of the other

gruesome, sometimes, aren't they! :shock: :?

Absolutely. :/

She turned up yesterday, playing chicken on our driveway with brand new chicks. Chicks that were so brand new I could just bend down and pick them up. Mumma hen also discovered what an electric fence was - her complaints turned from grr grr to SQUAWK SQUAWK as her make-myself-look-big wings spread out pose touched the bottom hot wire around the goat paddock. :? She went from not impressed to REALLY not impressed.

Now penned up with her six chicks. No idea where her nest was so I can't check it for evidence of a massacre, but she seems pretty keen on keeping these guys alive.
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby tessg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:59 pm

I too have learnt to leave any broody that insists sitting in the hen house nesting box to leave her there and like the previous post, I too block the front hole so the broody can't get out and the chicks can't fall out. I keep a vigil for 24hours until all eggs are hatched or will candle to see if anything is going to happen. If I move them I do so in early stages and pop "insignificant" eggs under them to be sure before good eggs. I have also started using single nesting boxes in one end of my main hen house (an old stock crate off a truck) so that when the girls go broody their whole box can be moved into the "nursery" end of the crate. Works well.
tessg
Chick
Chick

Previous

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders