WTB & info on Silver Laced wyandotte pullets?

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

WTB & info on Silver Laced wyandotte pullets?

Postby kellyhenley » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:56 am

Would be grateful for any info on these birds, they look beautiful and im incubating some at the moment :)
Would also lke to buy at least half dozen pullets

kelly
kellyhenley
Chick
Chick

Re: WTB & info on Silver Laced wyandotte pullets?

Postby Marina » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14 am

Hi Kelly,

well, I guess there is no-one who can just pluck half a dozen SLW pullets off the shelf and sell them. They're sometimes sold in lots of 1 or two - as available.

They are indeed a very attractive breed but unless you want to establish a broody farm with heaps of little individual coops for your females where they can sit on eggs and raise chicks up to 3 times per year your're better off without so many SLWs.

If you want to breed them you only need a pair or trio and the following season you can put the father over as many of his daughters as he can cover - which would be around 8 to 12 - and you'd get plenty of offspring.

Best of luck!
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:43 am

Hi Kelly,

And further - IMO they are very broody girls!

:)
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby kellyhenley » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:57 pm

Oh are they, I think they a so beautiful looking, I have heaps of paddocks around my house and I couldn't think of anything more beautiful trooping around.. :D
kellyhenley
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:30 pm

kellyhenley wrote:Oh are they, I think they a so beautiful looking, I have heaps of paddocks around my house and I couldn't think of anything more beautiful trooping around.. :D

Yes, one or two are great to have but even if you have 6 hens, come spring, the rooster will be the only one trooping around - until, of course, the hens come out with their chicks.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:59 pm

Marina wrote:
kellyhenley wrote:Oh are they, I think they a so beautiful looking, I have heaps of paddocks around my house and I couldn't think of anything more beautiful trooping around.. :D

Yes, one or two are great to have but even if you have 6 hens, come spring, the rooster will be the only one trooping around - until, of course, the hens come out with their chicks.

Haha Marina ! That is what I was going to say - or something similar. All the girls will be sitting somewhere and he will be all by himself!! My Lily has broken herself, but Alice - oh my - she is one determined girl! 2 lots of caging - no good - now I take her out of the nesting box every morning and every evening. She sits just where I put her, picks up bits of dried grass and flings it over her back then runs round wildly grabs some grain and then straight back to the box. This has been going on for weeks! I'm just letting her do her thing - making sure she isn't losing condition. My other big girls with moulting and everything, are laying like troopers at the mo - most days 5/6 eggs from 6 possible layers! So we are happy!

They are beautiful chickens and I wouldn't be without them - unfortunately Lily's sister was killed by a friends dog - the dog isn't allowed back! :(

Lizzie
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Kracka » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:27 pm

I couldn't think of anything more beautiful trooping around..

Lizziebee - perhaps you could put wheels on Alice's nest box & walk her around the paddock?? :D :lol:
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:51 pm

Kracka wrote:
I couldn't think of anything more beautiful trooping around..

Lizziebee - perhaps you could put wheels on Alice's nest box & walk her around the paddock?? :D :lol:

And you know what - she'd just sit there and endure it - she wouldn't get off!!! :D
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby kellyhenley » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:40 pm

Thanks for your awesome advice ladies, Actually have found somewhere who can "pluck 6 of the shelf'"for me.. I have mega land and lots of coops . :) Keep safe everyone with this crazy weather approaching
kellyhenley
Chick
Chick

Postby lizziebee » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:08 pm

Oh lucky you - please post pics of them - they are my favourite breed.

Cheers
Lizzie :D
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders