which orpington boy to keep for breeding?

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

which orpington boy to keep for breeding?

Postby Alesha » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:50 am

i have a delema. i have 5 maby 6 lovley boys and only need one . which of these should i keep to breed with my girls? im leaning towards one of the darker boys

Alesha
Quail
Quail

Re: which orpington boy to keep for breeding?

Postby roobz316 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:54 pm

Depends what colour chicks you want, depending on what colour hens you have a splash can only have blue or splash chicks, a blue you can get black blue or splash. If you want to pick the very best one you really need to wait till they have filled out more.
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Alesha » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:05 pm

thanks robz what should i be looking for ?
Alesha
Quail
Quail

Postby buzzard » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:09 pm

I agree with Roobz, best to let them grow a bit more
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby nzkings » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi Alesha, thanks for posting these pics of your beautiful boys... I can't help, but will be interested in reading what you decide. The white one is just beautiful (to my untrained eye).

I too will have to make a decision with mine, which at this stage are only six weeks old so the decision will be a fair way off for me. Out of interest, what age are these?
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby Marina » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:12 pm

The second blue one - does he have dark eyes like the others? The eyes look a bit light in the picture. They should have dark eyes.

Are you going to eat the ones you're not keeping? Or will you try to rehome them? Just asking because we eat our surplus cockerels and I start with the least promising but some people prefer to do it all in one go.

If you won't keep the white one I'm sure you'll find a home for him despite the slate legs. He's nice and fluffy - many 'so-called Wite Orps' look more like the broilers.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:02 pm

my son has Orpingtons to show - I 'encourage' him to thin the numbers the sooner the better - they take up a lot more space and eat loads more than a little Pekin bantam (what I mostly keep)
so I'd be suggesting looking for faults you can see now - like a misshapen comb, any deformity (crooked toes etc), split wing, wrong eye colour, wrong colour (I have a suspicion that dark blue breeds darker & darker blue and then how do you see their lovely lacing if the blue colour is too dark?) - wrong colour can also be deciding on what you're partnering them up with - we're aiming for blues to show - so black birds would need to be paired with a splash, but neither of the parents are showable (blacks bred from blues are quite often not dark enough down to the skin and splash Orpington weren't an accepted show colour, but I think they are now?) - so you only keep a black/splash pen if you have room for a group that's for breeding only
The next problem we've seen in the Orpy boys is they have a tendency to get longer & longer legs (or ours did anyway) - all those boys (in the photos) have a fair bit of clearance off the ground (maybe longish legs?) - but it would be dangerous to pick on the leg length now, as they need to fill out
Temperament would be a factor for me - not that we've had an aggressive Orpy roo - something that big & heavy is not allowed to try & spur anyone! we've got a splash cockerel that delights on pecking my hands or ankles, but that's more being nosey/cheeky (although it does hurt!)

I think Marina's suggestion of removing a few from the mix, if you can identify something you don't want, and then waiting for the next stage is a good idea, less competition for space and food lets the 'select few' fully grow & develop

good luck, its not easy :D
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Alesha » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:16 pm

nzkings wrote:Hi Alesha, thanks for posting these pics of your beautiful boys... I can't help, but will be interested in reading what you decide. The white one is just beautiful (to my untrained eye).

I too will have to make a decision with mine, which at this stage are only six weeks old so the decision will be a fair way off for me. Out of interest, what age are these?

they will be 14 weeks tomorow.
Alesha
Quail
Quail

Postby Alesha » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:20 pm

Marina wrote:Are you going to eat the ones you're not keeping? Or will you try to rehome them? Just asking because we eat our surplus cockerels and I start with the least promising but some people prefer to do it all in one go.

i think i will eat the ones that i cant re home or get a good price for.
Alesha
Quail
Quail

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders