Experience With Barred Rock Chicks.

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Experience With Barred Rock Chicks.

Postby Dean » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:35 pm

I am astounded at these Barred Rock chicks I bought at 1week old. At 3 weeks old I just knew they were ready to join the flock, and they have grown and gone forward in leaps and bounds ever since. Mastering the Chooketeria, holding their ground within the run (9 metres x 9 metres).
They are almost 6 1/2 weeks old now, and vocal, assertive and confidant. I am comparing them to some Shaver X chicks I have who are 5 and 8 weeks, and they are ahead of both of these hatchings and they all had a broody. These guys are motherless. I have raised Araucana chicks too with a broody and they were much of a muchness like the Shavers.

I can pick the boys and the girls big time. Has anyone else raised these chicks and what were your observations?
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Re: Experience With Barred Rock Chicks.

Postby roobz316 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:40 am

I have them although considering selling them as I have too many breeds. Generally hand raised chicks grow better than broody raised chicks in my experience, they do grow fairly quickly as well although the cockrels take awhile to fill out
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:20 am

I haven't got any experience myself with Barred Rock chicks but have seen them at various stages of development and don't have the impression that they grow any differently from any other heavy breed I know like Orps, RIR and the likes.

So one thing that has crossed my mind is - could they be from a mating of a Barred Rock rooster over Cobb or Ross meatbird hens? As barring is dominant all chicks would look barred and the mothers would contribute the phenomenal growth?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby roobz316 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:13 pm

I wouldn't say they don't grow any faster than orps, sussex etc. Dean mentioned comparing them to shaverxleghorns and araucana's so they would grow bigger faster than those would as they have a much more slender frame compared to the heavies
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Dean » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:14 pm

These Shaver X are 5 1/2 weeks old

Do you think the light ones are cockerels and the dark pullets?

These are 6 1/2 weeks old

These are 8 1/2 weeks old.

The BRs just seem more confident and capable without a broody. They were sold to me as BRs, and I met the parent flock and have no reason for doubt. Maybe without a broody, they are just learning to fend for themselves more.
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby dannyf » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi Dean, they look just as they should, yes the lighter ones are you cockerals and four darker ones are your pullets. I tend to find chicks without a broody do tend to be much more cheeky as they class you as mum and not an intruder.
dannyf
Chick
Chick

Postby roobz316 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:14 pm

Dean wrote:
Do you think the light ones are cockerels and the dark pullets?

Yes
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:43 pm

They all look very normal to me and apart from the grey legs in the BPR females they look very good, happy and healthy.

Your Shaver x birds are a small light breed while the BPRs are a large heavy breed so yes, that difference in size is very normal and expected.

As to their self confidence - good on them! BPR are known to be a confident breed, the males especially. This can (but doesn't have to) turn into aggressiveness but you'll find out.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Dean » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:54 pm

Cool, thanks everyone. I have 8 of them, and will check again, but I'm pretty sure only two cockerels. They have very thick legs. I guess I didn't realise that BRs are a heavier breed than Shavers. I think I'm getting infatuated by them, they are so darn cute. And yes, I do think they think I am the 'Mother'. :shock:
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby lizziebee » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:51 pm

And just to add my experience. I've heard some stories about agressive Barred Rock roosters. We had a Barred Rock rooster quite a few years back and he was the most gentle, caring, thoughtful rooster. We named him after the people we got him off - he was "Walker" - never, ever an agressive move or action. I hope yours are the same. He was a beautiful boy.

I love the breed, good layers, good temperament and not too prone to broodiness. (I have enough broodies without their contribution - LOL)!

Lizzie
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Dean » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:03 am

I will watch the roos to decide who is nice and can stay lol. Forewarned is for armed. I saw the 2 standing up to each other this morning, doesn't take em long does it.
I looked this morning and out of the 8, 2 have grey legs that are yellowish down the back.

I find Lizzie, went you want a broodie you don't have one, and when you don't you are inindated. :roll:

Thanks everyone for your contributions, much appreciated.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby lizziebee » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:45 pm

Dean wrote:I find Lizzie, went you want a broodie you don't have one, and when you don't you are inindated. :roll:

Oh so true. I have 3 on their second time round - but it is in vain. Today I have to do the cage thing - hate doing that. Although I did see Maggie out and about this morning - fingers crossed! I did think about getting some pullet chicks, but of course, they aren't available when you want them.

Good luck with your boys!

Lizzie
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby bagheera » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:09 pm

with rooster - some time you have wait till they crow before you can tell if they going to attack you. we had one very friendly one as a chick, but then had no fear of me when it got older and would attack me when ever i did any thing to his girls.
bagheera
Quail
Quail

Postby chickenlady1 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:27 pm

Most Roosters are pretty good...but if you are doing anything with his girls...it can change quickly...after-all..that is part of his job...to protect his girls.
I have Bantam Roos...they are great to be around...only give me a passing look...but ....lookout if you do anything to upset his girls!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
chickenlady1
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Dean » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:30 am

I've had some bad roosters, all in chook heaven now. But the four I have now and the couple or more cockerels, are really good, infact till I read this thread, I'd forgotten how bad the others had been.

I'm lucky enough to not need to do the 'cage' thing. As I just pick them up out of the nesting box and hoof them outside the run. They hate it, can't get back in with their flock. At about 3 - 4 pm, I shut up the nesting boxes (which I do everyday) and take some scraps onto the run, and while the flock are busy eating, they sneak back in through the open gate and I close it. Their runs are 9 metres by 9 metres, I had to stop free ranging when tenants on our same property came with dogs, and the hens were also making a mess shifting the stones area of the drive into the concrete porches with their scratching, I miss them passing by, never mind. We are looking at how we could do it in a paddock some time soon.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders