Jersey Giants

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Jersey Giants

Postby IncredibleChickenMan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:59 pm

Hi everyone Is there anyone out there breeding Jersey Giants or any really big meaty chicken breeds any info would be great. Im wanting to add sum meat birds to our laying flock to get the best of both world :D
IncredibleChickenMan
Chick
Chick

Re: Jersey Giants

Postby Marina » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:17 am

Hi and welcome to PC.

I don't think Jersey Giants are in NZ but if you get a female Cobb or Ross and put any heavy breed rooster over her you'll get really good meat birds without the problems Ross and Cobb have. If you have a choice of roosters then these would be my picks: White Plymouth Rock, Light Sussex, Rhode Island Red. A Faverolle could be a good choice, too, for particularly tender meat.

I see you are in Dunedin - I currently have two young Cobb females, hen raised until old enough to be outside which I would sell but I'm in Christchurch.

Cobb and Ross males are usually too heavy to breed successfully and most die before reaching breeding age but females can be raised to breed. They take a long time to start to lay and their eggs are neither plentiful nor large but the chicks that do hatch grow fast and big with a lot of breast meat.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby roobz316 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:12 am

Or Indian game but they are not as common. I think Russell B has some cobbs, not sure what his plans are for them.
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby jimmy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:43 am

Offspring of a Dorking roo over a cobb hen would give a good carcass weight.
jimmy

Postby sewren » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:35 pm

I wish there were Jersey Giants in NZ - my garden would be full of them if we did have them!!

Welcome to the forum! :)
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby IncredibleChickenMan » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. My partner has just got 3 new sussex cross rhode island red hens which would be nice eating but unfortunately she wont let me anywhere near them lol. May have to invest in some of my own 4 the table since we can get a steady supply of them here in Dunedin. What about importing chickens would i maybe able to import a Jersey Giant breeding couple without to much hassle.
IncredibleChickenMan
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:13 pm

Unfortunately New Zealand's borders are closed for poultry imports. Only Hyline and Shaver plus Cobb and Ross come in via a controlled facility which costs tens of thousands of Dollars to hire.

New Zealand is still free from several deadly poultry diseases (Newcastle Disease is just one example).

But if you get a nice heavy breed rooster and put him over your OH's pullets you should get quite good eating birds. You get the cockerels and she gets the pullets :mrgreen:
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders