Silver Pencilled hamburg

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Silver Pencilled hamburg

Postby finkies1 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:31 pm

Does anyone know of any of these in NZ? If not, does anyone know how to possibly create them please? I only have gold spangld, silver spangled and gold pencilled varieties.
Wyandottes
Oxford OEG
Minorcas
Araucanas
Pekins
Rosecombs
Sebrights
RIR
Hamburgs
finkies1
Quail
Quail

Re: Silver Pencilled hamburg

Postby roobz316 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:01 am

I would think there are some somewhere out there, or I guess you could use a SSH over GP and select for ones which show pencilling, or use a silver campine over GP and select for chicks that have the correct comb. Using a GP rooster over SSH or silver campine hens will give you sex linked chicks as well.
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby buzzard » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:20 am

fairly sure theyre about,

I saw a stunning trio of citroen hamburgs at last years Palmerston Nth show - these citroen type colours often come about by happy accident when people cross silver and gold versions of the same breed over eachother (the silver versions sometimes have these diluters in them - but its not seen, until yo ucross them over gold)

if I were to make them I would stay within breed, silver hamburg male over gold pencilled females, retain females, and cross these back to gold pencilled male, retain next gen males (that show correct hatch down) and mate these guys over gold pencilled females
this next gen you should see some silver pencilled pullets, keep those and then work on refining markings and getting a pure silver male
to make these would need a bit of savvy in hatch down and in familiarisation on how to navigate sex linkage
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby roobz316 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:58 am

Haha I knew I should of left that one for Buzzard
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby buzzard » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:16 am

the campine cross would work too Roobz, but the pencilling is on first glance the same but actually different in both breeds - bit like the sebright single lacing vs Wyandotte single lacing..
so using the campine would (IMO) need for a sharper eye, and the issue of hennie feathering would confse the best of the genetic nerds among us
but would give arguably a boost of the campine traits, (have found the campines that i have had to be long lived, nuggettey for their size and hardy little critters)
the rose comb would be a minor issue (because of rose comb's dominance and the backcrossing youd need to do)

side note:
if I were to outcross silver spangled hamburgs to get increased vigour, I would use a silver campine.. - because the campine and the silver spangled are made on the same e allele base.
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby roobz316 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:06 pm

I forgot about the henny feathering, I had only had the first sip of coffee so was still half asleep. I was thinking same leg colour, white lobes etc
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby buzzard » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:43 pm

fair enough
but my attempts at early morning/late night emails and posts are generally illegible, looking like a dog has walked over the keyboard
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby finkies1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:22 pm

very interesting! I might try tne silver spangled hen over the gold pencilled rooster next season - just for something to do and see what pops out
Wyandottes
Oxford OEG
Minorcas
Araucanas
Pekins
Rosecombs
Sebrights
RIR
Hamburgs
finkies1
Quail
Quail

Postby nzpouter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:40 pm

They're well on their way in Chch.
the difference between pets and pests is only on which side of the fence they're standing... keep your animals in your own property.

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/pandaeye/chooks/
nzpouter
Quail
Quail

Postby Misterpears » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:54 pm

Observing from the uk I'd say a campine will be much more fruitful than silver spangled hamburgh in trying to create silver pencilled. Hamburghs here throw occasional single combs and when from a pullet breeding pen these are pretty much indistinguishable from a campine. That said I do need to read the NZ standard.
Misterpears
Chick
Chick

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders