Sebright colours

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Sebright colours

Postby finkies1 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:28 pm

I noticed in the new poultry nz standards there is a "Chamois" Sebright shown. Does anyone know how to create this coloured Sebright please? Or if there are any available in New Zealand?
Wyandottes
Oxford OEG
Minorcas
Araucanas
Pekins
Rosecombs
Sebrights
RIR
Hamburgs
finkies1
Quail
Quail

Re: Sebright colours

Postby buzzard » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:10 am

I dont think that I have ever seen one, or heard of them here, but that's not to say that they aren't being worked on
the Chamois is made with dominant white, as with this named variety in other breeds: Campine, Barnevelder.

to make them youd need to find something with dominant white, a bantam white leghorn would be a good start.
Mate a gold sebright over a white leghorn female (important to be this way round) and keep only females that have picked up the white, repeat this same process (gold sebright male over 'white' female offspring) for 4-5 generations, then you will see the black being replaced by white and gold remains -as in the parental gold sebright

try to not use a male 'chamois' unitl you are confident that everything is back in line again - this will be about 4-5 generations
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Gold Sebrights for sale

Postby finkies1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi everyone, I have bred 36 gold Sebrights this season from just 2 pullets, this new line appears to be very hardy, and also nice mulberry combs, If anyone wants some I have plenty for sale $15 each.
Wyandottes
Oxford OEG
Minorcas
Araucanas
Pekins
Rosecombs
Sebrights
RIR
Hamburgs
finkies1
Quail
Quail