So, Talking Araucanas.......

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

So, Talking Araucanas.......

Postby Dean » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Some of these birds are from my 1st 2 hatchings, and a couple of Roos pickible. When looking for the traits, and it might be too soon to pick, if I was choosing when they have been laying for a while, which isn't till well in the new year. Is there any particular ones look more promising than others to particularly want to hatch from? Or is it too soon?

They began like this :

The larger ones are nearly 3 1/2 months old.

Thanks. :)
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Re: So, Talking Araucanas.......

Postby RussellBenington » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:26 pm

well i dont think the comb/wattles one that one should be that red :?
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Postby Dean » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:36 pm

That's interesting Russell because when I listed him on TM, there was a lot of interest in him? So I removed him, incase I had made a wrong decision. What comes to mind Russell? :o. Do you think the 2nd to last photo one looks better?
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Marina » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:53 pm

Dean, when I saw the pic of the chicks which you had posted before I thought to myself that they've got really nice uniform colouring and they all have their hats on. They certainly kept that promise.

I can see a few feather stubs on at least one set of legs. That's something you want to breed out so if you can I would move those on.

They still have to fill out but they certainly look very promising. If you want to breed from them then you'll have to wait it out before moving one of your roosters on.

Russell - I don't know what you mean? Araucanas are supposed to have red combs, ear lobes and wattles. Early maturers are usually good - they either lay earlier than the late maturers or sire pullets that are a bit quicker with the laying than those sired by a late maturer.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Dean » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:23 pm

Thanks Marina.

They still have to fill out but they certainly look very promising. {If you want to breed from them then you'll have to wait it out before moving one of your roosters on.}

Just not quite sure on what you mean there? Sorry. Did you mean 'in'?

Thanks for the hint on the legs tufts.

I am really keen on this breed, but will have to acquire a new Rooster, as all are related. :)
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby RussellBenington » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:10 pm

Marina wrote:Russell - I don't know what you mean? Araucanas are supposed to have red combs, ear lobes and wattles. Early maturers are usually good - they either lay earlier than the late maturers or sire pullets that are a bit quicker with the laying than those sired by a late maturer.

thats what i was meaning...how it seemed to have matured quite a bit earlier than anything else in the pictures...i was told it is a possible sign for a crossbred with a single comb breed.
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Postby Marina » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Dean - I mean they have to put on weight and grow all their adult feathers (filling out - if this is not the right word then please - someone tell me) so that you can see their adult shape. The light coloured one is a bit long in his legs for my liking but he hasn't got the feather stubs?

Don't worry about a possible brother x sister mating. If one of your roosters is nicer than what you can buy then I'd use him.

Russell - there are heaps of crossbred 'Araucanas' out there these days. I don't know whether an early red comb indicates possible split for single comb - if the bird is otherwise a good example I'd use him. I remember when I had Araucanas some 10 or more years ago (had them for 7 years). I never had a single combed offspring but there always were some males who showed their red comb early. Others took up to 5 months before I could tell they were roosters. I bred from the early developers. Can't claim particular successes - I was only really propagating them, not seriously breeding. I did some experiments with those partridge looking ones, even got a rumpless female one season but this didn't come through in any of her offspring, even if mated back to her father.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Dean » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks Marina, I'm glad I paid the $3 to remove his listing now. You would be a hive of good information then. :D

So hard to get single pictures of them, without repeating. Without buying that big book of breed guidelines, where would you recommend I get more information so I don't have to repeatedly pick your brains?
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby buzzard » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:56 am

just remember when you are selecting for a breeding rooster that he should have a peacomb, (not a walnut comb) and a full beard/muff - so his wattles are almost non existent

try having a read of the comb thread, to see the difference in combs Pea vs walnut,
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3462

and there is a bit of info here,
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3139
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Dean » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:31 am

Thanks buzzard, I had been there before, but forgotten about it, wonder why its called a 'pea' comb? So it has 3 parts to it, the main centre, then a side row on each side. I spose it could be likened to a pea pod. :?

They were both a great help buzzard, thanks. :D
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby buzzard » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:51 am

there are some funny names, but triple comb makes sense to me: the three ridges of bumps

the feather stubbs on legs, lack of full muff/beard & crest and pea vs walnut combs are the most common things to look out for when selecting breeding stock
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders