Black Minorca - loss of feathers

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Black Minorca - loss of feathers

Postby trishandrews » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi I recently purchased a Black Minorca cockerell and put him with a couple of pullets, after a short time, his lovelt big upright comb started to flop sort of sideways (from the back anyway - not the front), and he was losing a lot of feathers, I'm only guessing that his girls were pulling them out? So, now I have removed the girls, and he's on his own, but he still looks miserable and has lost most of the feathers down his front and neck (underneath) any ideas as to what is causing this? Is he lacking in something? (I feed top quality feeds), and the girls weren't losing anything and look fine.
Finkies1
trishandrews
Chick
Chick

Re: Black Minorca - loss of feathers

Postby Marina » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:51 pm

Shaft (depluming) mites? If it's mainly around the head and neck then that's likely now that you have established that he is continuing to loose feathers after you removed him from the girls.

A good dose of Pestene powder, repeat a week later, is probably the most efficient remedy.

Treat the girls, too. it takes a while between infestation taking hold and feathers falling out.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby trishandrews » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:58 pm

I have treated with pestene, and also dosed him with Eprinex last night, he doesn't appear to be losing any more, it's strange that the girls haven't lost feathers but he has?
Finkies1
trishandrews
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:09 pm

You wrote that you purchased him recently - so he may well have brought those mites in.

It takes weeks for the Eprinex to take effect on shaft mites. Pestene is instant but once the damage to the feather shafts has been done it's irreversible and you have to wait for the next moult. He will continue to loose feathers but it should slow down soon and eventually stop.

Dust the girls with Pestene - no Eprinex necessary. Eprinex has an egg withholding period and it also is responsible for a poor hatch rate for eggs laid while it's active.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby finkies1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:50 pm

he doesnt appear to have mites at all, but he just stands there and lets another Minorca hen peck out his feathers, he is losing weight, doesn't seem interested in food but he did enjoy some dog roll, he is quite thin, his comb has flopped over whereas when i got him it was lovely and upright, not a happy chappie at all, I have let him out free ranging now in the hope that he will come right, he doesn't seem very dominant at all, in fact one of the other roosters attacked another rooster that was trying to fight with him and shooed it away from him!
Wyandottes
Oxford OEG
Minorcas
Araucanas
Pekins
Rosecombs
Sebrights
RIR
Hamburgs
finkies1
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:36 am

I'm sorry to hear about this. It doesn't sound good.

Hen pecking can be a problem and even the most experienced breeders aren't immune. Were you able to breed from him?

Weight loss is a bad sign and there are diseases which can cause this. Lymphoid leucosis would be the main suspect as I assume he's about a year old now? But it can still be Mareks. This is, however, less likely. If he eats well, has a full crop at night and an empty crop in the morning it's most likely Mareks. These are just two possible reasons - there are plenty more I imagine.

Letting him free range is probably a good idea but if he continues to go downhill the signs are not good. You have to think about your young stock and whatever it is - it could be contagious and the poorer his condition becomes the more virus or bacteria he sheds and the organism that causes his condition may spread.

I've never had a bird that lost weight and recovered.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:53 am

that doesn't sound good - keep trying with the favourite food (unless you've decided to cut your losses, which I can understand too)

I've never had a bird that lost weight and recovered

I have to say, I find that too - I thought it was just me - my nursing skills seem to be somewhat lacking.... :oops:
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby finkies1 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:58 pm

sadly he just faded away until we had to deal with him in a humane way, not sure what it was def not any creepy rawlies, but he literally just faded away to almost nothing, it's very strange. Fortunately I managed to breed some lovely chickens from him this season, they are all fine and doing well.
Wyandottes
Oxford OEG
Minorcas
Araucanas
Pekins
Rosecombs
Sebrights
RIR
Hamburgs
finkies1
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:39 pm

That's a very sad outcome but it was foreseeable. At least you have a few chicks ...
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders