Crele/Creole Colouring

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Crele/Creole Colouring

Postby lizziebee » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:22 pm

Perhaps not the right category - but wasn't sure where to put my question.

Of my three Partridge Wyandotte bantam chicks - one is different. A little bigger, more yellow fluff, muted partridge colouring and yellow legs and comb. I sent the pics off to the breeder. She replied that she thinks it could be crele colouring coming through and she too is interested to see how Blondie feathers up.

So I have done some internet reading - and some of it is in normal language, some way over my head and some just confusing! So in this particular case, (if it is the case) would the crele/creole colouring be from a Silver Pencilled Wyandotte over a Partridge Wyandotte?

Thanks
Lizzie

ps - Marina, she thinks all the chicks are girls as they all have eyeliner!
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Re: Crele/Creole Colouring

Postby buzzard » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Your description does point to crele, but could be something else aswell, although a crele would have muted head marking around the eye
The breeder would have to have a crele in the breeding pen for that to happen, it wouldn't just pop up.

But just to make it a bit more confusing pencilled and partridges do have 'barring' on their juv feathers like these silver pencilled dotte chicks from feathersite below:
and partridge rocks also from feathersite:

So its a bit of a wait and see
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby lizziebee » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks buzzard - exciting!! I do enjoy a mystery - not the waiting so much. But then it wouldn't be exciting!!

Can't make up my mind. :D
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby roobz316 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:58 pm

My partridge wyandottes from Cyd looked the same as the first pic buzzard posted, they are a bit bigger now, will try get a pic of them tomorrow if they will stand still.
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby roobz316 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:05 pm

roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby lizziebee » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:29 pm

roobz316 - they look more like Silver Pencilled Wyandottes, sort of - not partridge. I know I've only had two hatchings of Partridge, but I also have had two lots of SPWs. Are you sure they are meant to be Partridge Wyandottes?

How old are they now?

Lizzie
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby roobz316 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:41 pm

Well yes they maybe, there were a few SP in the same pen as the partridges, the camera was using its flash so they look much lighter, in normal light they are more partridge coloured, they hatched with very goldie down, would assume SP would be yellow with the dark stripe down the back not gold and black but these are my first of this pattern I have hatched before, I would be happy with either colour anyway :) They're 6ish weeks
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby lizziebee » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:27 am

roobz316 wrote:Well yes they maybe, there were a few SP in the same pen as the partridges, the camera was using its flash so they look much lighter, in normal light they are more partridge coloured, they hatched with very goldie down, would assume SP would be yellow with the dark stripe down the back not gold and black but these are my first of this pattern I have hatched before, I would be happy with either colour anyway :) They're 6ish weeks

Ah yes it'll be the camera then. Little SPs are grey/silver fluff with dark grey stripe when little and yours sound like they were indeed partridge coloured when little. They do look beautiful when fully feathered and I'm hoping to have two of those and not sure on the third.

Pic of bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandotte chicks.

I hope you post some pics roobz when they are a bit bigger!

Lizzie :)
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby lizziebee » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:41 am

My three bantam Partridge Wyandottes all turned out the same colouring. Blondie perhaps a little lighter and she is slightly bigger - but not crele.

Very cute girls!
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders