Duckwing Araucana

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Duckwing Araucana

Postby lizziebee » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 pm

I have a question!

Are the Duckwing Araucana just like the Lavender Araucana but just different colours - or is 'duckwing' literally a differenty type of wing?

I'd like some information on them if anyone has any. I saw some on TM and they look like they have sort of muffs and I really like their look and colouring.

Might let my Maggie sit on some for me!

Thanks

Lizzie
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Re: Duckwing Araucana

Postby Marina » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:56 pm

Yes, Duckwing is a colour. I believe the male in the last picture in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3440&start=15

is a Duckwing Oxford OEG male. I can't find a listing for a Duckwing Araucana, though.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:59 pm

Thanks Marina - he is pretty!! A bit lean though.

This is what I'm looking at:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farmi ... 046161.htm

I'd really like to know more - if there is more!

Lizzie
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby buzzard » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:09 pm

just remember Araucana is the breed and Lavender, Black etc are the varieties
they all should have muffs and a crest and pea comb, irrespective of colour (varieties)

duckwings are characterised by the female's salmon chest, and you can get gold duckwings, silver duckwings and a golden duckwing (which is an intermediatory colour between gold and silver) and at hatch duckwings (irrespective of silver gold or golden) have a very distinctive 'wildtype' colouration of the egyption eye stripe and the v shaped point on their heads and the dorsal stripes

The 'duckwing Araucanas' Ive seen on TM are what I consider wheatons mixes (another colour) and these come in gold or silver aswell... (silver wheatons are generally refered to as salmons ie the salmon faverolle colouration)

hope that's not too confusing, but this may help to think of other breeds that have duckwing coloured varieties
but brown leghorns are effectively gold duckwings, and silver dorkings are silver duckwings

PS
you've posted a link when I ws typing the above out, and yes there is a silver wheaton and a silver duckwing(most like split for partridge) hen in that 1st group pic. and honestly its hard to tell what the roo is because it looks like 2 different boys and both pics wing triangle are obscured but I would suspect the fella in the first pic is a golden wheaton
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby lizziebee » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:16 pm

Ah - thank you buzzard. That does indeed make sense.

The soft wheaten/salmon colours are quite beautiful - IMO. Faverolles are a breed I really like the look of - except they have feathered feet! These duckwing Araucana's are the closest I've seen that I like.

And just curious - why the name 'duckwing'?

Lizzie
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby buzzard » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:25 pm

lizziebee wrote:Ah - thank you buzzard. That does indeed make sense.

The soft wheaten/salmon colours are quite beautiful - IMO. Faverolles are a breed I really like the look of - except they have feathered feet! These duckwing Araucana's are the closest I've seen that I like.

And just curious - why the name 'duckwing'?

Lizzie

no probs, bit of a mission not to get too wraped up in mumbo jumbo
but duckwing .. refers to the male. and what I said about his wing triangle, and is a generic term also that can encompass wheaton males, and partridge males (as they all have a ground coloured wing triangle... either gold, silver or golden)
the other generic term you may see is crowwing, these males have a solid black wing triangle
compare these 2 fella's wing triangle below,
from feathersite, left a brown leghorn and right a copper marans
ImageImage
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby lizziebee » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:02 am

Thank you buzzard!

I see why the name now - I should've read your post more carefully. I appreciate you taking the time to show me the pics. It did seem odd to me that a multitude of colours had such a name - but I do understand.

Another piece of information to tuck away.

Lizzie :)
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby lizziebee » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:13 pm

And buzzard thought you might be interested - I've got 12 eggs coming!

This is what the seller said about the eggs she has chosen for me based on what I requested: "3 from the dark silver rooster and 9 from the blue rooster, you will only get half blues from the blue rooster as all hens have the black pigment".

So, I wondered if you could expand on what colours I can expect based on what she has said above. When she says half blues - what does this actually mean? Hope I'm not getting too technical for me now - I'm sure it isn't for you!

Thanks heaps

Lizzie :)
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby buzzard » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Oh OK, had another good look and that roo in the top pic is blue
so he is something like a blue golden wheaton (but I still cant be sure without seeing his chicks and more importantly his wing triangle). I'm not bagging this trader at all, but as a group, theyre not duckwings.

so when she says half blue she means 'half will be blue', but this blue colour wont be very apparent in the females,
I don't have much time to type out more, suffice to say you wil get a bit of a shotgun but most will be very near to what you like

there was a thread on here recently that showed much the same sort of colours in Araucanas but done have the time to go lookijg for it
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby lizziebee » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:01 pm

That's fine - thanks buzzard.

I'll do some searching and see if I can find the thread.

I don't mind a mixture - it will be interesting!

Cheers
Lizzie
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby buzzard » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:56 pm

they'll be interesting colours for sure! the males will be eye catchers aswell. maybe some pics when they are chicks would be a good idea too, keep this thread posted, see if these predictions come true!
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby lizziebee » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:12 pm

I will buzzard - and thank you for your help and knowledge - always appreciated! :D
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby RussellBenington » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:52 am

theres a duckwing araucana breeder in/near dunedin on trade me...their name is bobwoodman
http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/farming-forestry/poultry/chickens/auction-653046161.htm
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Postby roobz316 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:39 pm

That is the trader they were talking about Russell, see Lizzie's link further up.... same auction
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Here is the 'other' thread:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3398

It's quite possible that valleygirl had bought her eggs off this same breeder and got a variety of colour combinations.

If a Lavender Araucana is crossed with a Duckwing OEG then all the dominant features come through in the first generation which means that (provided the Araucanas are 'pure' for these traits) all the offspring have pea combs, muffs, beards and crests and the females lay the blue/green eggs. In regard to the colouring of the offspring my hunch is that the lavender doesn't come through so they may be coloured similarly to the Duckwing OEGs? Or will they be black? I'd like to know :D

Anyway - expect a variety of colours :mrgreen: then you won't be disappointed.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Next

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders