Silver Spangled Hamburgs

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Silver Spangled Hamburgs

Postby Dean » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:14 pm

This is Errol and his 4 wives. I am just wondering if anyone if familiar with this breed and could run their astute eye over my little family. I don't wish to show birds, but I'd like to breed these, if they are a reasonable example. Thanks.
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Re: Silver Spangled Hamburgs

Postby Kracka » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:00 pm

They look great to me!

all have white ear lobes
his comb looks good - little corals growing in the front to an even length - the point thing (can't remember terminology) should point straight out back, neither upwards or downwards (I don't have my standards book with me, so anyone can correct me if I say something wrong)
the girls combs might be a bit lumpy and misshapen in the fronts - the one at the back could be the best comb (but that's getting picky)
all appear to have slate grey legs? - that's good
all have dark eyes - that's good

the spotting/spangling - each feather should have a black dot on the end of it (round in shape) - the bigger the black dot the more it will overlap with the next feather, creating a darker over all look

the rooster could be a bit dark - his black is overlapping
but then its a balancing act - get them dark & you tend to get dots on the end of every tail/wing feather (desirable) and neck hackle (its a tiny dot & also desirable) - get them lighter (i.e. smaller dots) and you sometimes get a rooster with not much 'dotting' on their neck hackles etc
the spotting makes up about 60% of the points I think (or 55/100 for the rooster and 60/100 for the hens) - so the markings are very important

I can't get an idea on the body shape of the rooster - he's facing front on - I've had problems with my roosters being a bit scrawny and the like (frustrating)

but overall - I'd say very nice :D
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Dean » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Errol was ablidging, he does like to pose. And one with a hen for comparison of size. Thanks so much for all the info, very helpful. If I knew on google where to hunt for this info, I wouldn't trouble anyone, but couldn't find anything. Thanks again heaps.

He even crowed for you, because 'he' thinks he's marvellous!
Silver Spangled Hanburgs, Araucanas, Shavers, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Barnevelders, Bard Yard Specials, Ducks, Turkeys and a Mallard.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby buzzard » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:45 pm

Kracka wrote:.. - the point thing (can't remember terminology) ..

the point would be a better more dedescriptive term, but its called the 'leader' (goodness knows why it has this name since it follows the front of the comb :roll: )
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Kracka » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:52 pm

yep, he looks good
he is a bit dark & I tended to find darker parents bred darker (& darker) babies, so you'll need to pick & choose what babies you grow on - but I've never had a batch of babies that I wanted to keep everything of, so that's okay
with the tail, I was also having trouble with getting a clean white tail with only colour on the tip - I can see he's got a couple of feathers on the top that have black smudges on them - just something to note & watch for in the future generations

the hen in front has good markings - dots on the end of each feather

with his comb - I can't see - but you also need to watch out for side sprigs (not saying he's got them!) - that's where one of those 'coral growths' is pointing out sideways, or downwards, or you've got multiple leaders (the pointy bit at the back)

I'll have a check on our breed database to see if we've got the standard in there, if not, I can add it....
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Dean » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Ok because he loves to have his picture taken, do you think his side sprigs go out to the side too much?

Many thanks for all your info, a tremendous help.
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby sewren » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Spangling is so pretty!! Although I'm more of a heavy breeds kind of a person, so I'd like to see it on a Sussex of a Wyandotte! Oh well, maybe a(nother!) potential project there to tuck away for the future... ;)
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Dean » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Yes wouldn't that be interesting. I too like the heavier breeds, just getting a bit addicted here, who me!
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Kracka » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:26 pm

it would be hard to see side sprigs in a photo - they're quite often underneath the main comb, almost
in the second photo, he looks a bit like he's got almost a second leader, smaller point almost parallel at the back?
I've had them with multiple or split - and he's not that bad

I'll get the standard typed up, so you can have a read through
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby buzzard » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:04 pm

sewren wrote:Spangling is so pretty!! Although I'm more of a heavy breeds kind of a person, so I'd like to see it on a Sussex of a Wyandotte! Oh well, maybe a(nother!) potential project there to tuck away for the future... ;)

I am fairly sure Ive seen pictures of such wyandottes, I think they called them 'appaloosa' will try to find the pics, but they were made like a hamburg.
yet again I recollect a little known Italian breed that were much like a single combed Wyandotte type with spangling
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby buzzard » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Appalossa dottes
http://www.sedgwickcommon.co.uk/Spangle ... dottes.htm
you can see these are made more like a hamburg, so the leg colour will be an issue with the females, (to be accepted as 'wyandottes')

however the Robusta Maculata (the above mentioned Italian breed) don't have this problem from http://www.fiav.info/html/7varie/varie035_002.html
but check out the males' tail feathers, (lack of spangleing this gives the clue to this breeds genetic makeup)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robusta_Maculata
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Dean » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Very pretty.

This is my SSH x Aruacana. (Albert)

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu20 ... f409bb.jpg

So when x ing or deciding on a X where can one go to see a result done previously or get ideas, do you know? So you don't just end up with farmyard specials.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu20 ... age-19.jpg

This is a hen I removed from the group as I was unsure of her breed or X. (Dotti)
Dean
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby buzzard » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:43 am

Dean wrote:..

So when x ing or deciding on a X where can one go to see a result done previously or get ideas, do you know? So you don't just end up with farmyard specials.

there's the chicken calculator,
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html
it is a handy tool to get a rough idea, but it is only as good and as accurate as the information you put into it
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Kracka » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:24 am

Dotti is a lot lighter in colouring
and here's my inexperience with Hamburgs - but what makes you think she's a cross?
I can't see her legs - are the slate grey?
is it because she's so much lighter?
I've had some come out looking that sort of 'shade' - but I found the dots on the end of the feathers weren't round - they were becoming sort of tear drop shaped (on the chest/body) instead of round (or as round as possible)

question to Buzzard - would you suspect 'Dotti' is a cross?
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby buzzard » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:40 am

Kracka wrote:..
question to Buzzard - would you suspect 'Dotti' is a cross?

no, my thoughts were exactly as yours, and I too wondered what her leg colour is like

PS
ive stayed out of the type side of the discussion so far as I knew you Kracka would give fantastic input which you have done, however, I see it hasn't been mentioned yet, but is his tail wry? and another hen looks like she has this too,
also ideally his wings would be held a little more closely
also if this were my group, id look to breed from the hen with the full fan tail (but shes the one I suspect has a wry tail too :| ), because he and a couple of the females on the right of the first pic are tending to be a bit pinched (UK leghorn style tail) should be more like a USA type leghorn
look at the difference in tail set I am meaning below from feathersit:
UK leghorn:
USA leghorn:
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Next

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders