Light Brahmas? - not quite.. yet

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Re: Light Brahmas? - not quite.. yet

Postby lizziebee » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:54 am

Aw - sooooo cute!!!

Lizzie
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Kracka » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:36 pm

cute babies
they reminded me of Silver Pencil Pekins .... going to be a bit bigger though!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby buzzard » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:17 pm

hopefully a bit bigger ;)
but this variety do have a SP pekin as a grandmother,
lucky break, saw a rather big type pekin in the sale pens @ Palmerston Nth show last year, so I thought what the heck
I'd tried folding SP Pekin in about 3 years ago, the 3 females I had sourced then were shocker layers, and the few offspring I got weren't as consistent in hatch down as should have been expected, so that wasn't carried on with
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby MountainMan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:04 pm

Those cute babies are more than just cute babies if only you knew, they look exceptional to look at and it will be interesting to see how they feather up. They have those nice fluffy legs too. Thanks for the photos i can see your well on the right track here with your pencilling, be good to see what size they grow too. I know its a bit off on another tangent but do you know how to identify cockerel breeding cockerels and pullets and pullet breeding cockerels and pullets at chick down stage, is there notifiable differences. Just curious.
your dedication is more than mine at the moment.
Hatching hundreds even thousands of eggs a season is definately not for everyone, it is really an unbelieeeeeevable amount of work, and countless cross examinations and culls and records to keep, toe punches, photos, reference....reference....reference. If only you could get paid by the hour for this type of effort im sure there would be a few millionare chook breeders around.
MountainMan
Quail
Quail

Postby MountainMan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:17 pm

Here are a few pics of some of what i have, not much i know but enough when i need to, i have others bits stashed here and there and some with great size. But im yet to bridge any gaps with size and colour.
MountainMan
Quail
Quail

Postby buzzard » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:27 pm

good stuff MM,
is that fella a partridge base or split for wheaton, he looks a bit wheaton in the hackle, am I guessing right?

love the brow on some of your hens, really nice dewlap on that blue tailed buff girl too,

from what I can tell, you have most of all the bits and bobs that's whats needed to put the hammer down again when your circumtances change,

good to hear that some of those sizey ones are still around, I think I know the ones you are talking about
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby buzzard » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:30 pm

MountainMan wrote:... I know its a bit off on another tangent but do you know how to identify cockerel breeding cockerels and pullets and pullet breeding cockerels and pullets at chick down stage, is there notifiable differences. Just curious.

the finer and clearer the barring on the male chicks, irrespective of adult colour will lend to being pullet breeders.
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby MountainMan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:06 pm

Cheers for that.
And yes bang on split partridge/wheaton.
MountainMan
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:08 pm

I like the look of your birds, MM - nice green grass, too. How well do they lay?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby MountainMan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks Marina.
Plenty of eggs at the mo, my best long term layer is a barny hen she is about 5 years and i get about 4 or 5 eggs a week from her, her blood is folded in here too. she really is a gem of a layer and good sized eggs too. she has always kept good health and shape along the way.
From 20 hens getting usually around 15 eggs a day sometimes few more sometimes few less.
How are your girls laying.
MountainMan
Quail
Quail

Postby Marina » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:00 pm

Wow - that Barnie hen sounds awesome. From what I hear from people here in Canterbury the Barnies are lazy layers and older hens hardly lay at all so your hen is a real gem. NI Barnies seem to be better layers.

I've got some excellent layers and some who aren't as industrious. The Faverolles (who currently make up over 1 third of my 'layers') aren't that good when it comes to laying but the roosters are delicious. Luckily the best pullet also is the best layer of them all. I've got a lot of crossbreds and some are laying well, others aren't.

I think this Brahma project is a very exciting one. It probably can't be compared with any other project ever as there are so many details to be observed and each detail has to come from a different bird. That eye brow is something I haven't seen before and that special dewlap is another example. I don't think people who have never embarked on a project can appreciate the work, dedication and knowledge that goes into re-developing a breed.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Raven81 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Very impressive. its good to see so much dedication, its great that u can work in together for the project.
"Happiness is a journey not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby sewren » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Marina wrote:Wow - that Barnie hen sounds awesome. From what I hear from people here in Canterbury the Barnies are lazy layers and older hens hardly lay at all so your hen is a real gem. NI Barnies seem to be better layers

My two were definitely not great layers - I didn't have them for the whole of their first season, and wasn't recording then so don't have numbers, but in their second season they averaged 90 eggs each :( They started laying early (on the shortest day!) but only about 2 eggs a week for most of the season. They did peak at 4/5 eggs a week from mid-October for a few weeks, but that didn't last long.

I've sold them now (because they were bullies) but I think I'll give Barnies another try because they're so pretty, and it's always nice to have some birds that you know aren't going to go broody at the drop of a hat!!
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby MountainMan » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:47 pm

The barny hen im talking about is an exception to most older hens ive had, and i have another hen her age a black orp which would be lucky to give me an egg once a month i think shes just there to feed her face each day and thats about it. that barny hen in question has never gone clucky once her whole life i think that has abit to do with her great laying to. I had alot of langshan hens too who were some of my best layers and they too mostly never went clucky. Cant have everything i guess!
Buzzrd i still have that single combed silver laced dotte hen of yours she cracks me up shes on auto pilot , lays 12 eggs clucky...12 eggs clucky....12 eggs clucky...and on....has never broken that pattern ''there abouts'' the whole time ive had her, but a great mother she is.
MountainMan
Quail
Quail

Postby buzzard » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42 pm

MountainMan wrote:..Buzzrd i still have that single combed silver laced dotte hen of yours she cracks me up shes on auto pilot , lays 12 eggs clucky...12 eggs clucky....12 eggs clucky...and on....has never broken that pattern ''there abouts'' the whole time ive had her, but a great mother she is.

What a laaf, I couldn't stand that Wyandotte ttpe broodiness, really glad that I ditched all silver dotte blood out of my silver barnies and went the long way round with my nth hollands.

I think I can remember that barney hen, you had her with 'ricky' for a while no? but if you want bring her round for a romantic week or 2 holiday with one of my ckls, I think I might just have the perfect match for her.
I have a son from a hen that layed her bum off as a pullet, would crank out easy 6, 70-73+gm eggs/week in her first year. shes now buttoned off the pace but eggs are kicking round the 80gm mark.
his full sister is laying well also round the 70 mark and the egg colour is there (mums eggs are on the right in my avatar)
no dramas, but would be a shame to lose her genetic merit from the barnie breed.

Raven81 wrote:Very impressive. its good to see so much dedication, its great that u can work in together for the project.

thanks Raven, but will say most breeders do work in with each other, be it project or not
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders