Light Brahmas? - not quite.. yet

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Re: Light Brahmas? - not quite.. yet

Postby MountainMan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:03 pm

That laying sounds like the one geez thats good ahe.
Here is a pic of her, and yeah was penned with ricky at one stage.

Here is a picture of her son.
With those silver laced i had still been meaning to put her to that real big lad but hadnt got around to it
Theres a couple of other hens in those photos i was gunna use to add foot feathering.
Thats as far as ive got.

If you needed her no worries im sure shed enjoy it the company. But if i could i would still like to use her again one day.
MountainMan
Quail
Quail

Postby MountainMan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:05 pm

MountainMan
Quail
Quail

Postby buzzard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:27 pm

MM,
I meant the barney hen, to come round to go with one of my barnie ckls, so you can get something from her before shes too old.
-------------------
don't need the SLW girl back, but that son of hers looks the goods, hve you thought about pairing him with the silver hen at the forefront of the first pic on the prev page?
I don't think I have anything that's ideal for him otherwise we could something to get another gen. closer to your goal,
unless you think that this fella below would be of use
hes the sire to the darks on the prev page, hes eb/eb Pg/? hes got good foot feather - middle toe, butas you can see he has a shedload of autosomal red (from the barney background) and need to find a hen that's got more of the missing pieces to the lacing suite, but at least he is the right e allele
offer is there, no dramas either way
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby MountainMan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:50 pm

Hes a nice looking fella alright definately the bird you want to persist with, when i can ill try that pairing you mentioned using the hen on the previous page which was in my thoughts as she has nice leg feathering. I was going to use her with both those roosters the partridge fella and the silver laced fella. Her mother is that darker silver columbian hen of the 2 you used of mine a few seasons back and the father of both the hen and silver laced roo in the photos here is that chunky silver Col/col eb/ewh Pg/pg hetero pea fella you gave to me a while back, was this the sire bird of your chunky pencilled fella?.
And yeah by all means your welcome to use the barny hen, be good to see her put to some use, she has developed one spur later in life dose this matter? she is nicely built. She has very minor feather stubbs, almost nothing but it is there. She has been a good layer. at the moment she lays atleast every second day and the odd occasion in between.

Cheers
MountainMan
Quail
Quail

Postby MountainMan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Just noticed the barny hen is in the background of the very first photo i put on this thread.
MountainMan
Quail
Quail

Postby buzzard » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:15 pm

MountainMan wrote:... Her mother is that darker silver columbian hen of the 2 you used of mine a few seasons back and the father of both the hen and silver laced roo in the photos here is that chunky silver Col/col eb/ewh Pg/pg hetero pea fella you gave to me a while back, ..

oh that makes sense, he is the sire of the light fella on page one! I can see that width of head coming through from him on her.
------
the sire is to the 'dark' fella aboxe, is this dude below:
and him below on the left as a juv
you might remember how buzzed I was to jag him in the first year, I think back and laaf how excited I was to see that 'barring', (such a nerd) but I knw he would be good, and he really did set this dark project up really nicely
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby MountainMan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:44 pm

I remember the bottom photo yeah you were excited at the time haha, but yeah rightly so he filled out nicely and his son has likewise.
Also as im not 100% on the breeding effort at the moment you are welcome to use any of my birds here to breed with, i know your probably sorted but just thought id throw that out there.
MountainMan
Quail
Quail

Postby buzzard » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:40 pm

a bit of an update to the progress made this year

this guy below is a son of the roo on the first pic, out of the 'bullhead' hen.
he was hatched about mid August, and this pic is a couple weeks old now (he was about 5.5mnth above)
I like the depth of his keel, and his overall stature and presence, good foot feathering, and a nice tidy comb and that dewlap

here is the above fella again with his slightly younger brother in behind

both should easily meet the standard for weight, they are however rangey as teenagers and will fill out more and with a bit more reach they should with maturity fill out a standard LF 24inch show cage
both are showing a fair amount of yellowing, which will need to be addressed, and some more width would be good
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:53 pm

I think you have to remove the 'not quite .. yet' from the headline now.

They're very confident looking birds and once they turn up in a show cage they'll certainly turn heads. Very well done, Buzzard.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby roobz316 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:58 am

Man they look big, how tall would you say they are? Sussex like? And feet feathering looks really good also.
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby buzzard » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:39 am

currently fella at the back is circa 60cm , the older fella in the front about 55+, there is not a great deal of range left in them, they should fill out more,

thanks Marina, however, they're like any other breed - always room for improvement!
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby LakeviewPoultry » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:03 pm

I see what you were talking about yesterday, you have done well. :D
LakeviewPoultry
Chick
Chick

Postby buzzard » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:45 pm

cheers mate,
your description of your pen of 10 black orp ckls had me thinking that's what id love to see next year for these guys,
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby thailand » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:07 am

Hi there. It's been a long while since I've checked in here. Buzzard....your Brahma project is looking great! Sadly I don't have any pure Brahmas any longer. I do have 3 Brahma x RIR. It's a shame, but I saw no other option other than to crossbreed them as the gene pool here is Thailand is way too small and they were becoming just too inbred. Their health suffered in the end. The current crossbred Brahma girls however are doing really well. I think the addition of new genes has really helped my strain. I will be coming to NZ for a visit in March for 3 weeks, and while I'm there I could be interested in some fertile Brahma eggs if you had any to spare? It'd be great to breed my Brahma cross girls back to a Brahma. The source I had here in Thailand has fizzled out. Anyway, please let me know if you might be able to help me out.

Attached is a photo of my very favourite Brahma hen "Matilda"....(long gone now :( )
[img][IMG]http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv48/angelathailand/DSCF4560.jpg[/img][/img]

And another of a rooster I once had: [img][IMG]http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv48/angelathailand/DSCF4565.jpg[/img][/img]

Missing my Brahma...such beautiful birds and very friendly too.
thailand
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:33 am

Unfortunately Buzzad is no longer active on this forum - he hasn't been seen for over 2 years - so I assume he won't see your post.

March is the end of the breeding season here - most breeders let their birds out to free range after the summer solstice in December or even earlier than that. If there was any hope to get fertile Brahma eggs in March it would be worth trying to contact Buzzard in some other way but I doubt it's worth the effort. September and October are the best months to get fertile eggs here in New Zealand.

The birds in your pictures look lovely. Have you got a Brahma x RIR male? You could do a brother x sister mating and see what you get. You might be surprised!
Marina
Emu
Emu

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders