Light Brahmas? - not quite.. yet

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Light Brahmas? - not quite.. yet

Postby buzzard » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:01 am

I am generally super secretive about my projects, and will only really talk about them once I am happy things are looking as they should, or at least improving
but the conversation in this thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3741 did get me thinking to share one of them a bit more publically.
I also did say in this thread I'd love to see big burly brahmas in NZ, I wasn't lying, as I haven't seen them yet... not yet, but do catch glimpses of parts of them at my place.
Enough speil here are some pics.
Here is one of the 3 birds in one of my 2 trios for this year
He has a lot of traits I am looking for, tall, rangely, has a good width to his head, and slight middle toe feathering, he isn’t as cut away chested as this pic makes him to be. But frustratingly he does have a wry tail, and would like to see more tail and lift to it also

This female is smaller than what I would have liked but she has a good short back nice rise to her tail, correct undercolour, very good footfeathering (middle toe) but she has got greenish eyes

This girl (above and below)has to be my favourite, nice and wide, big fat bull head with good undercolour, she is though more modest in foot feather.

as said earlier, these 3 are part of one trio, the other are much the same, but with slightly different mix of bloodlines

I tried to put together a backstory of pics, but it got far too confusing, but in any one direction of any of the pedigrees I have to go 4-8+ generations back to find any 'purebred' chook,
ancestral animals were chosen for different reasons: pea comb, width of head, bustle, shortness of back, size, length of leg, foot feathering, skin colour,
each generation I tried to fold 2 or more of these above traits together, slowly trying to bring all the above pre requisites together on one bird one generation at a time.
hundreds of chicks have been hatched, some years 2 hatches one season to squeeze out faster gain, and even more if I factor in some of the chicks that I hatched for Mountainman and his own hatched out chicks and the strategic, specific swaps we have done over the intial couple of years of each others culls (culls to him were of more use to me and vice versa)

so as the thread says, not light brahmas yet, but considering the Langshan, Sussex, Barnevelder, and further back 'Cochin'/Shanghai and Indian game heritage, they have come a fair way
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Re: Light Brahmas? - not quite.. yet

Postby roobz316 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:21 am

Awesome and exciting news Buzzard. They look good. Are you planning on more colours once you have type sorted? I would love to see Partridge. I have some of Cyds Partridge hatching today because thats as close as I can get at the moment!
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby buzzard » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:26 am

thanks Roobz
type type type,
colour is secondary at the moment, but it was a consideration from the outset, if you can understand what I mean.
try to put the right ingredients in there from the outset and if there are useful fallouts then so be it
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby roobz316 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:35 am

The images in this thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=722 has stuck in my mind when I first saw them last year, I do like the lights also but after seeing a Partridge up close in the UK I think they look stunning
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Good on you, Buzzard, for 'coming out'. They look stunning and they have those very desirable eyebrows - those eyebrows are what will stick in my mind and no, the Thailand Brahmas don't have them. This is a much much bigger achievement than the Speckled Sussex I'd say.

You hint that the comments about those $6.50 per egg Speckled Sussex made you start this thread. So it's good to read how much work and time has gone into developing these birds. However, the people who made these comments are constantly inundated by the egg farmers - buy from me - no, buy from me - I've got this for sale - I've got that for sale - from show stock - bla bla bla - as if every breeder was dead keen on making a buck with his or her chooks. And there is no way for a newbie to distinguish between the egg farmers and the serious breeders.

There is a place for both the egg farmers and the serious breeders but people must understand that egg farmers buy culls from wherever they can get them and if they happen to get something interesting they call it a new colour or breed like for instance the 'White Orpingtons' with wrong leg colour, wrong eye colour and wrong type (the ones I've seen hatched from $10 eggs felt like broilers with hard feathers and a broad wide chest).

If a serious breeder sells fertile eggs they are worth every Cent he/she is asking for them.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby buzzard » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:47 pm

thanks Marina, I am glad you picked up on that beatle brow, its something Ive gone for from the outset
how's this for pedantic..
in some of the batches of chicks about 4 seasons ago, I measured their heads, and their weights and recorded as they grew.
I selected an old light sussex hen and she had a big fat head (and my favourite above is a direct maternal decendant of hers) and this old girl had 42mm head (measured over the brow)
now I am happy just to 'spot' the outliers in this category in the brooder.
I really like the brahma scowl, and that dewlap.

but I am not doing this to drum up interest in egg sales, but to give some sort of insisght into developing breeds and colours, and I am not exaggerating at all when I say 100's of chicks,
theres another 50 or so being hatched now and another 50+ waiting to be put in the cooker, then that's it for this mob.. for this year
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby buzzard » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:54 pm

roobz316 wrote:.. I would love to see Partridge. I have some of Cyds Partridge hatching today because thats as close as I can get at the moment!

I sent some partridge dotte eggs to Cyd last year, I think she said she only got 3 to hatch, but kept one male as her breeder this year, not sure haven't heard from her in a while.
in my experience with the partridge colour is that is gets beaten up bad by our summer sun, but in new feather they do look good,
but sadly a lot of any patterned breeds varieties suffer from lack of numbers and decent breeders
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:49 pm

I've just done a bit of googling for Light Brahma pictures and the only ones that looked nicer than yours, Buzzard, were in drawings. The second female definitely has the nicer eyebrows.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby buzzard » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:41 am

I cant agree there with you Marina, there are plenty of stunning lights on the net, Thailand's are just some of them

mine IMO are what the Amerians would refer to as hatchery quality
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby cyd » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:54 pm

Making fine progress there Buzzard. Well done. So exciting to get so far into a project and see it coming together!!!!
cyd
Chick
Chick

Postby sewren » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Awesome stuff Buzzard!!

I love the second girl - she has a great facial expression! :)
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby buzzard » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:25 pm

thanks guys,
I too like the scowl of the second girl
their chicks are growing fast and some promising little ones, but time will tell
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby MountainMan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi Buzzard,

Long time since we last talked, i havnt been on here in a long time and only remembered about it from an email the other day, matter of fact havnt hatched a chick since last november.
your project looks like its still ticking along nicely and that bottom hen looks nice and chunky with that brow.
since last shifting my birds now number at 20 and only the better birds at that and are currently just providing good bacon and eggs pies, to much shifting around and work having gone crazy have been major factors to my stalemate.
so when i can ill find the time again hopefully before the birds dissapear.
I definatley appreciate that TIME your all taking about and ill ad DEDICATION to that to and maybe COFFEE also.
I think its good you have brought the brahma like birds to light pardon the pun.
Ill try hunt a pic or 2 of my own.
there is one very well marked light hen here that could be of use to you you could borrow.
I also have a very heavily leg feathered buff col hen you could use for leg feathering, she isnt massive and dosnt have a bull head but would make a good match with that rooster above. Ill try find a pic.
Cheers MM
MountainMan
Quail
Quail

Postby buzzard » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:16 pm

thanks MM,
laaf @ your reference to 'bullhead', that hen is the direct dtr of the hen that you saw last year that I nick named 'bullhead', now dtr has the same handle

this project would definitely be in a different place had it not been without your strategic lends and swaps, but interestingly, birds ex your place are a bit further back in the above birds,
but you mentioned shedding 'light' onto the brahma,
how about some 'dark'
these little critters hatched over the weekend, and am rapt with their consistency of hatch down, and they have ski pants on..
so their sire is out of a then pullet that I borrowed off you for a couple of rounds last season,
she (your silver Co pullet) lent one half of the eb puzzle that I needed to join up with that barnie decendant roo I had here
so your S, Co birds are more closely realted to my S, co+ than my S, Co's
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:01 am

They are gorgeous. My first thought was that they look like chocolate caramel cookies.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Next

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders