Faverolles

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Re: Faverolles

Postby roobz316 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:54 am

This is one of my pullets, am contemplating showing her but haven't decided yet, she does have a few feathers on her middle toe.
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:37 am

She looks pretty good to me, has all the Faverolle features and the correct undercolour. I wouldn't worry too much about the stubs on the middle toes - I've got it in my Faverolles, too, and the individuals who have got clean middle toes have only very sparse leg feathering.

Her 5th toe isn't pointing upwards as it should but then again - that's very difficult to get right. I've got one single cockerel who's got that correct - and he's got yellow legs. Typical.

I wouldn't hesitate to put her in the show - there is no such thing as a perfect bird and it always depends on what else has been entered.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby buzzard » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:03 pm

her undercolour shouldn't be slate, I would struggle to give her first even in a one horse race
but for the rest I don't disagree with what Marina has said, you can only try
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby roobz316 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:27 pm

What should the undercolour be? Wheaton?
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:57 pm

I'm a bit concerned regarding the undercolour comment, too. Mine have the slate-ish undercolour, too, especially on their backs. I know they're supposed to be wheaton based and their chests are white or off-white but the fluff on the back feathers is grey.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby buzzard » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:03 am

she seems to me to have more than just a bit on her back. it looks like she has it down around her legs.

Marina, if it were slate under the chest, I would pass her entirely, most likely she would not be wheaton based)

Enter her Roobz, particularly if she handles well.
but she looks to me to be a split wheaton, some judges might not get hung up on that with this breed, but I'd dare say that those same judges wouldn't tolerate that amount of non ground colour in the underfluff of more well known heavy breeds with varieties of wheaton base such as light susssex, RIR buff orp etc
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:54 am

When that damn rain stops I'll take a few underfluff pictures and post them here because this is interesting.

Roobz - what did yours look like when they hatched - any stripes? Dot on the head? Mine are yellow-white-ish and I used to get some with a darker dot on their heads and that turned into quite dark hackles in the females, almost like Light Sussex.

I think most judges are very forgiving with the not-so-popular breeds that don't win the really big prizes like Best Heavy Breed etc anyway. If they'd pass on such birds or disqualify them liberally they wouldn't be shown at all, making the shows less varied. While it's valuable to know what needs to be worked on if you decide to breed them, your pullet has all the bits and pieces she should have and looks like a Salmon Faverolle so just go for it :D
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Sun May 04, 2014 5:14 pm

Just a note to add to the thread.

Reggie and Sophia are 23 weeks old now. Reggie is crowing - and I'm very pleased to report his crowing is not every day and neither is it very loud! The most noticable recent change is that Reggie's yellow legs are now almost entirely white!! He is a very handsome boy!

Pics as soon as I can!

Lizzie
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Tue May 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Here are the fluff pictures.
First up pullet #1, saddle, then thigh

Now the slightly darker pullet #2, saddle, then thigh

I didn't take pics of the whole birds :( but am very interested in comments :D
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Marina » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:07 pm

The females are supposed to have white underfluff. It's difficult to achieve but not impossible. However, using these females gives more lighter coloured females but the males don't have the required black chest.

This season was the first time I had a male with a nice black chest to breed from. Interestingly his female offspring are quite dark and don't have the white chest.

On a different note: Currently, the Faverolles are the chooks who keep us in eggs. Everyone else is either broody, looking after chicks or being de-clucked.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Marina » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:46 am

Finally, after 6 (or 7?) seasons trying to develop this colour, I have a Blue Salmon male who beat 4 standard Salmon males from 2 different breeders. He is not perfect but getting there - so here he is:

He wouldn't stand properly and the above shots are the best I could get. He got Best Faverolles Male in a class of 5 at the 2016 Christchurch Show.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:59 pm

Here are a few pics of my favouritist chicken (at the moment anyway!), Hazel. She is the most timid, shy, wee thing.. but I think she is just beautiful. I've been trying to get photos of her for months, but they're usually a blur and/or of her tail as she's bolting away from me. I had to hide behind bushes to get these - try to imagine the sticks aren't there :lol: I was wondering how correct she is? I'm not a breeder, just curious. I have one other pullet hatched at the same time, but she has no beard or muffs. They hatched in mid-October (7.5 months, 33 weeks) so I hope they'll start to lay sometime after the winter solstice -- or do they take longer than that?

eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:03 pm

She is beautiful! A lovely bird indeed. It's nice to see that there are some good ones out there. Do you mind me asking where you got her from?

The only thing I can't see is whether she's got a 5th toe.

My Faverolles don't start to lay before August. They take 7 to 10 months. If they are hatched early in the season they take 10 months to start to lay. If they are hatched after Christmas but before March they start to lay when they are 7 months old.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:07 pm

Nice to know you think she's a decent example - I think she's lovely, but what the heck do I know? :lol: She does have a fifth toe, but I can't remember if it sticks up or is welded to the toe next to it - I have one of each with the two of them. I bought the eggs from Appletons, right before she sold the breeding group. A shame, because I'd liked to have got more for this season. 6 of 12 were fertile, 5 hatched, 3 boys and 2 girls. It was hard to dispatch the boys, I thought they were the most striking cockerels I'd seen, even at 8w when they had to go. They were going to be too big to keep for our rather eclectic mix of girls. Thanks for the timeframe of laying - I'll nudge my hopes out to August :)
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:15 am

That's a shame that Fiona sold her breeding group but I know that she did get complaints from people who were not happy with what they got. And let's face it - from 12 eggs you got 1 lovely pullet. If the other one hasn't got muffs and beard its very obvious that she's not purebred. Most people expect at least 6 good pullets from a dozen eggs which is just an unrealistic expectation. Far too much can go wrong with Faverolles. The extra featues are all dominant so you may well have perfect parent birds. The recessive traits randomly pop up in the offspring.

People also moan when they have to pay $40 for a good pullet when they can buy an egg for $2 or $3. I hope someone who's going to breed them has bought Fiona's breeding group.
Marina
Emu
Emu

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders