Faverolles

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Re: Faverolles

Postby CaliCottage » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:51 am

Where can I get some Faverolles ( eggs or puulets) ? I have a boy that I want to get some girls for.
In north island preferably.
Thanks for any help :)
My girls: 2xLight Sussex / 2xCoronation Sussex / 2xBlue Leghorn / White Leghorn / Brown Leghorn / Lavender Araucana / White Silkie and a Faverolles Roo (looking for some girlfriends for him :) )
CaliCottage
Chick
Chick

Postby lizziebee » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:30 am

Pics of Reggie and Sophia at 10 weeks

Sophia - muffs
Feet
Reggie - he does have yellow feet!
Together

Reggie is such a character. He is so big and such a baby. It is only in the last week and a half that he has finally feathered up all over. He had a little bald spot on his back for ages.

I really like them both.
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:10 am

They're lovely birds, Lizzy. I, too, have problems with yellow legs popping up in my Faverolles from time to time. Unless you want to breed from them it's not a problem - their personality and looks are just the same.

Their muffs and beards are very nice and those legs will be hidden by long grass :mrgreen:
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:31 am

Marina wrote:They're lovely birds, Lizzy. I, too, have problems with yellow legs popping up in my Faverolles from time to time. Unless you want to breed from them it's not a problem - their personality and looks are just the same.

Their muffs and beards are very nice and those legs will be hidden by long grass :mrgreen:

Thanks Marina - and those feathers on their feet are something else aren't they!! Absolutely huge! But for the first time ever, the feathered feet go with the overall look of the breed and I don't mind them. I love Sophia's feather colouring. But if I can't keep Reggie, I'll have to let them both go as I don't like to separate them. Then I'll just have to try again for 2 females ;)

Lizzie :)
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:20 am

Sexing young Salmon Faverolle chicks:

Male with the darker feathers on top, female underneath. These feathers start to appear when the chicks are around 10 days old. Please note: this applies only to Salmon Faverolles.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Marina » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:24 am

Lizzie - how are Sophia and Raggae getting on? I agree that Faverolles stay with their own kind and hardly ever mingle with another breed.

However, if you contemplate selling them just be aware that possible buyers may take the pair and then dispatch the rooster. Happens all the time. So if you like to keep Sophia then you could just as well do the separation thing yourself.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:57 pm

Marina wrote:Lizzie - how are Sophia and Raggae getting on? I agree that Faverolles stay with their own kind and hardly ever mingle with another breed.

However, if you contemplate selling them just be aware that possible buyers may take the pair and then dispatch the rooster. Happens all the time. So if you like to keep Sophia then you could just as well do the separation thing yourself.

Thank you for those pics Marina - I don't really handle my chicks/chickens and it is good to have that information here.

My Faverolles doing really well - and yes they stick together and do not mix with the rest of the crew - but they seem quite happy. Reggie is a bit more timid than Sophia - but I have a real soft spot for him. He is getting quite big now and his muffs just make him even more adorable. And I'm thinking you are quite right re selling them both and then Reggie being dispatched, and particularly because Reggie has yellow feet, he won't be sought after for breeding. I'm going to keep them both till Reggie is crowing as I want to see them as adults.

I would like them to stay together, but if not then definitely I will keep Sophia. I did integrate two single adults when I got my latest flock in 2012 - and they are all comforatble with each other now - so I'm sure it can happen again.

I'll get more pics to post of them both.

Lizzie
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby lizziebee » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:18 am

Pics at 16 weeks:
Reggie
Sophia

Reggie is not crowing yet and still quite the comic and Sophia is quiet and gorgeous!

Lizzie
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:03 pm

They both are incredibly round and fluffy - they look lovely!
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:30 am

Thanks Marina - I'm really enjoying them :D
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:53 pm

Well, I've always maintained that Faverolles aren't the best layers but two of my hens are currently proving me wrong. They are still laying, 5 and 6 eggs respectively during the past 7 days! One of them - the female who won a NZ championship - has been laying continuously since last August and she only missed very few days. The other one only started to lay last October as she was a very late hatch and she has been broody but she is still laying now. All my other hens - Orps, Cochins, barnyard specials - have stopped to lay during the past 3 or 4 weeks. Time for the pullets to get going!
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Marina » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:06 pm

Faverolle muffs/beards are incomplete dominant and here are examples to show how the muffs and beards suppress the comb and wattles.

First up a picture of a Faverolle without muffs or beard (he shouldn't really be called a Faverolle but he's got all the other traits and this is only to show what wattles and comb look like without any beard gene):

Now a Faverolle who carries one copy of the muff/beard gene:

And a Faverolle who (I think) carries 2 copies of the muff/beard gene:

For the last picture I had to 'zoom in' - that's why it is a lot smaller than the others.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:19 am

Marina and others, can you tell me if a Faverolle crossed with Wyandotte (gold) will produce offspring with feathered feet and also if Reggie and Sophia's (both Faverolles) offspring will have Reggie's yellow legs - or is it just pot luck? Thanks.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:28 am

Wyandottes have yellow legs so all of Reggae's offspring with a Wyandotte will have yellow legs. Yellow legs are recessive to white legs so if you don't see white legs you don't have the white leg gene.

Both Reggae and Sophia look to be carrying 2 muff and beard genes so my guess would be that all their offspring will have muffs and beards, albeit not quite as big as Reggae's.

The foot feathering is more difficult to predict as there are several genes involved which work together. You might get a proportion of clean legged chicks and it's unlikely that there will be a chick with foot feathering as profuse as Reggae's. Anything is possible I'd say - you'll have to find out for yourself.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:05 pm

Marina wrote:Wyandottes have yellow legs so all of Reggae's offspring with a Wyandotte will have yellow legs. Yellow legs are recessive to white legs so if you don't see white legs you don't have the white leg gene.

Both Reggae and Sophia look to be carrying 2 muff and beard genes so my guess would be that all their offspring will have muffs and beards, albeit not quite as big as Reggae's.

The foot feathering is more difficult to predict as there are several genes involved which work together. You might get a proportion of clean legged chicks and it's unlikely that there will be a chick with foot feathering as profuse as Reggae's. Anything is possible I'd say - you'll have to find out for yourself.

Thanks Marina - so crossed with Wyandottes - all yellow legs.

Faverolle only - male yellow legs, female white legs - possibility of either white or yellow legs - or 100% yellow?

So funny Marina - Reggie is such a baby - I find it difficult to believe he'll actually be able to get over my other girls - he runs around and away from them, quick as he can if he sees them coming towards him! Perhaps when his hormones kick in it will be a different game - really interesting watching him grow and maybe change! Sophia is much more independent and less scatty.

Lizzie
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders