Faverolles

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Re: Faverolles

Postby lizziebee » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:50 pm

Marina wrote: . . . . . . . Are you contemplating getting a Faverolle, Lizzie?

Well Marina - on an impulse last week I bought some eggs!!! I really like the description of their temperament - and being a non-broody breed is indeed a bonus for me - I didn't know that. I've quite enough broodies to contend with. I don't need them to be great layers - I just like having different breeds of chickens with their individual personalities - they make a property homely!

I didn't buy very many and I know there can be mishaps during those 21 days - so we shall see ;)

Thank you for all the info Marina - much appreciated.

I'd be keen to see more of your chicks when your eggs hatch.

Lizzie
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:34 am

Let's hope you get a good hatch. You can sex the chicks at 2 weeks old and when I have a female I'll post a picture so you can see the difference.

Did you pick the eggs up or were they posted?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks Marina.

The eggs were couriered. Most eggs I choose have to be posted and usually from the South Island! Have had reasonable success so far - in fact the hatch that didn't go so well, were the ones I did pick up locally.

I'll let you know and yes I'd love a pic of a juvenile female of yours.

Thanks
Lizzie
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:36 am

Finally I've got female Faverolle chicks.

First up a 2 week old chick:

and a 4 week old chick:

The leg colour is still yellow as the mothers are on green grass. The legs usually turn white at around 8 to 10 weeks but I still have the occasional yellow legged one. Just another thing to work on.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks so much Marina.

My littlies are a week old now - much more yellow than your chicks. Your chicks feathering is lovely - no dark colouring at all. They also look slimmer - but maybe that is because they are older than my babies? My chicks are still like little teddies, round, yellow and poofy around the face and body.

I've not been able to have a real close up look yet, but from a distance I can see darkness on the edge of their wings - really hoping they are not both boys! They have quite a bit of feathering on their feet and their 5th toe is straight up behind - is that right? So just a week to go and I'll post more pics so you can see them - and maybe you will be able to sex them for me. Just because I want to keep one/both, they will probably be boys!
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:20 pm

Poofy look is good. Mine are a bit too slim, this applies to the adults as well. They should be chunky looking (cloddy as the standard says). The fluffy face usually indicates that they carry two genes for muffs and beard - not just one as many of mine do. But we're getting there. Coincidentally the ones with the fluffy faces that have hatched here have those leg problems and have to be put down - typical.

Only very few of mine have the 5th toe straight up (as it should be), some have a 5th toe on one foot but not the other - plenty of backyard layers coming on. My best girl's eggs haven't been very fertile but the chicks from her have fewer faults than the chicks from my other females.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby AlisonS » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:41 pm

Why is the 5th toe meant to stick up? Is it one of those "it just is" things?
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:31 pm

Yep, not much use for that 5th toe. It sticks out like a spur but points upwards.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Marina - I definitely have a boy and a girl - they are growing sooooo fast - I must get a pic up for you to see them.

Work is so very busy and having to work every day and then again at home is taking me away from my girls and I'm not getting much time to spend with them.

All my chicks are changing so much just from one day to the next.

Pics very soon.

They are really the most cute chicks and quite big for their age.

Lizzie
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby lizziebee » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:54 pm

These are not the best pics - but the best I could do today:

Sophia and Reggie - 4 weeks old.
A very poor shot of Reggie
Cute fluffy bottoms!
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Oh - one girl and one boy so you can observe the different colours develop. Is it my computer screen or does the male have yellow feet?

Very cute and nice and fluffy.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:11 pm

I love fluffy bottoms! :D

And yeah, the male's feet do look yellower on my screen too...
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby roobz316 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Ok so have just taken some out of the incubator today, snapped some pics before they went under broody. I can't see stripes on the back? appear to have muffs and all have a 5th toe, but they all have feathering on the middle toe, is that a biggie?

roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby roobz316 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Or are the darker yellow patches counted as stripes?
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:25 pm

No, no stripes in your chicks, Roobz. The ones that are around have stripes like Brown Leghorn chicks.

There is a bit of variation in chick down colour in mine, too. The yellowish ones (like yours) get the stronger colouring that makes good males. If they turn out to be females they are a bit dark but the strain yours are from might be different.

Middle toe feathering is a DQ but many of mine have it. You can actually pull those middle toe feathers out for showing. Just don't do it on the day of the show. It's really difficult to breed a Faverolle that meets all the requirements and I reckon the judges don't DQ them, even if they have a feather or two on their middle toe.
Marina
Emu
Emu

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders