Araucana and colours

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Araucana and colours

Postby valleygirl » Sat May 11, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi there
Last season, I bought several clutches of the 'coloured' Araucana eggs - partridge and mixed duckwing mostly.
Now, I see from a search here that the coloured Araucanas might be a bit controversial :evil: , however, although I've been keeping poultry for 30 years, I have only ever done it for my own enjoyment. I don't show and I don't breed seriously, although I do enjoy my purebred bantams and raise some replacements each year or two. So I'm just in it for fun really ;)
Anyway - I was a bit bored with lavender, so I got some coloured Araucanas and I really love the hens; they are gorgeous.

But I have three roosters and I cannot make my mind up which one to keep, or whether I should keep one at all.
There is a partridge who looks ok for form to me. A (I think) red/black (or is it black/red?) who is nice, except he does not hold his beak shut and I wonder if he has a beak deformity. It shuts fine when I - gently of course! ;) - pinch it with my fingers, and I cannot see anything wrong, but he always has it open a crack.
The third roo is I think a silver duckwing and does not have any muffs and has too much wattle, so I think he is out.

I was starting to think I might be better just getting a white Araucana rooster later for the girls (if I can find one), rather than working with what I've got. Probably the partridge is the best looking bird of the three, but I don't know what I'll get if I put him over the hens I've got, which are all supposed to be duckwing. Probably just something ugly?! I haven't really dabbled in colours very much previously.

I'd be interested in your thoughts. Cheers.
valleygirl
Chick
Chick

Re: Araucana and colours

Postby glendaandrob » Sat May 11, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi I read on a website that the duckwing variety and black breasted reds don't always breed true to type. Just a bit of trial and error I suppose I went throught that with my frizzles
glendaandrob
Quail
Quail

Postby valleygirl » Sun May 12, 2013 4:48 pm

I found the breed information page here just after I posted, which was helpful. I now think my silver duckwing is actually a gold duckwing. If they don't always breed true to type perhaps that may explain some of his faults.
I think I will have to bite the bullet anyway, as they are really big compared to my other chooks and eating like horses :D
valleygirl
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Tue May 14, 2013 11:32 am

Hi Valleygirl and welcome to PC.

Are you able to post pictures of your birds? You need to upload them to a photobucket account which is free. Alternatively, if you email them to photodropoff@poultrycentral.co.nz , one of the admin team will upload them for you.

I'm very wary of the claims that are made in regard to Araucana colours by various breeders. I've had 'Partridge' Araucanas pop up when crossing a Black and a Lavender. Some Black Araucanas have silvery or reddish hackle feathers and people call them 'brassy back' - I think if you let us have a look at pictures of your birds you'll get more info. If you post your pictures in the Araucana thread this info will be more accessible later on.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby valleygirl » Wed May 15, 2013 1:50 pm

Thanks. I had tried to insert pics in my original, but got baffled, despite reading the FAQ.

I hope I have done this correctly:

http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/valle ... /Araucanas

I have posted pics of 2 Partridge (horrors - I thought one was a hen until I caught her crowing recently) one is light grey and one is dark grey, both with reddish markings.
The red/black rooster (with hens in pic).
My hens - 2 are brownish and one is more silver - all supposed to be duckwing.
My Golden Duckwing rooster.

I am unsure of all of the colours, except for the Partridge, which came from a batch of Partridge eggs. The duckwing were all mixed colours.
I am only going to keep one rooster, but it would still be good to have the colours identified - especially the hen colours - for my future reference/education ;)

I was really mainly wondering on the best colour to use over my hens.
Thanks.
valleygirl
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Wed May 15, 2013 4:18 pm

That's one for Buzzard.

They are very interestingly coloured but I can't see a Partridge bird among yours. A partridge coloured male has a black breast and when you google 'Brown Leghorn' you'll see good examples of partridge colouring. The females have intricate pencilling.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Wed May 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi valleygirl - I have put your photos in my post here. The way to post them it is to click on each individual photo in photobucket, and where it say on the right 'links to share this photo' click in the box by 'IMG'. When you click in the box it automatically copies the code and you can paste it here.

Valleygirl's pics:
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby valleygirl » Wed May 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Many thanks sewren. I couldn't figure it out :oops:

I agree they don't look very partridge-y. I was wondering whether the colouring would come, or whether it was different in this breed. Wishful thinking perhaps.
valleygirl
Chick
Chick

Postby buzzard » Wed May 15, 2013 6:40 pm

HI Valleygirl

can you remember what colour/pattern they were when they hatched?

i agree with Marina, I don't think either of the fellas you have identified as partridge, if they were partridge then their wing triangle (or diamond as sometimes called) would be gold-red, and their eyes are pretty dark, safe to say that they are called crowings - the paler one splash the darker fella a blue

I don't think that the girls are duckwing.

the females are tending more toward wheaton, as you've identified 2 are gold and 1 silver, the 2 golds look to be split (for either partridge or duckwing - but what would be a guess) and one of the gold girls has one shot of blue

problem is these colours are in other breeds, and there is no consistency across breeds as to what these colour varieties are called
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby valleygirl » Wed May 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Sadly, I can't remember what they hatched like. I usually take pictures, but seem to have missed these two.
In any case, it seems they are not obvious and I will divest myself of them ;)

Does the red/black (or whatever he is - the one with the hens in the same picture) look as he should?

Wheaton sounds very apt for the hens; I am happy with the novelty of them anyway and plan to keep them for layers.

Many thanks for the replies - I am much further ahead.
valleygirl
Chick
Chick

Postby buzzard » Wed May 15, 2013 8:48 pm

valleygirl wrote:Does the red/black (or whatever he is - the one with the hens in the same picture) look as he should?

it depends on the definition of black-red, apart from his eye colour being a bit more orange, he looks like the other 2 males, (imagine his black parts turned blue or splash)
----------------------------------------
I wouldn't get too upset with these,
Araucanas come in a lot of different colours, and these are unusual for this breed, and its not easy to get the colours to breed true, and remember that colour defines the variety, type defines the breed.
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Wed May 15, 2013 10:36 pm

valleygirl wrote: I am happy with the novelty of them anyway and plan to keep them for layers.

They sure are a novelty and a pretty one, too. I reckon it's interesting to breed with such birds. It's just misleading to claim they are such and such colour if they are not.

Buzzard writes that 'colour defines the variety, type defines the breed'. But no word about what he thinks about their type :(

They've got the crest, the muffs, beard and the combs look all right to me but their shape looks influenced by an OEG which could possibly explain the claim regarding the new colours. Maybe they are from an unfinished project to get the OEG colour to the Araucana? So maybe with a bit of help and if you are keen there could be a possibility to get them a bit closer to the Araucana type and an OEG colour?

Have you got pictures of your other birds?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby valleygirl » Thu May 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Good to have the comments about type as well. At least the leg colour and eye colour of the hens is correct (as far as I can tell, anyway).

I am very taken with the hens, but I don't think I know enough about it to make them a project :? I wouldn't know if they were getting better or worse as I went along !! ;)
Although curiosity does dictate that I ask - what would you actually put over them if you were trying to improve them?

These pics actually represent the sum total of my Araucanas at present, as I sold all my lavenders when I was hatching half a dozen clutches of eggs last season (to make more room). I only had hens anyway. If I want to get more, I will probably stick to the more usual colours, although I haven't minded having a bit of a dabble in something different for a change. My only hiccup was that I was completely confused with what I actually had at the end of it! But life is all about these little adventures, isn't it, and I'm wiser for it.

I am pleased to be able to get on and deal with the roosters now too - our place is sounding like a complete madhouse at the moment, with 6 roos crowing all morning ;)

Thanks again for your help with identifying things. There was really no point in doing it if I learnt nothing ;)
valleygirl
Chick
Chick

Postby valleygirl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:08 pm

Hello again. During this discussion, it was suggested I may like to take these coloured hens on as a project. I was just wondering what I would do next, if I decided to do this?
I am still happy with my hens. I am getting lovely big eggs, and despite my expectation they would all be olive, I do get some lovely clear blue ones as well.
valleygirl
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:19 am

Hi Valleygirl,

the eggs your hens lay are really big - lovely colouring, too. So maybe there was a Leghorn involved, too - this could explain the big eggs and the clear blue colouring.

Do I understand correctly - you've still got the hens you have posted pictures of but none of the roosters? And you are contemplating getting a rooster for them? What would you like to achieve - an Araucana? What colour? Or would you like to know which colour would be the easiest to achieve with what you've got?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Next

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders