Araucana Boy? and Girl

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Re: Araucana Boy? and Girl

Postby Louise » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:09 pm

Marina wrote:
Louise wrote:Oh and what about the black chick?

Not sure - looks more girl-ish than boy-ish. Most Black Araucana males have some kind of other colour coming through in their hackle (either red or silver/white). Nice head-gear, too. So fingers crossed.

YAY :D
Louise
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Update at 6weeks 4 days. I still think I have one boy and one girl.
Girl comb
Boy Comb - and he has more of a little topknot - she has none.
Her tail
Him tail - has a longish feather each side of the tail area
Both Tails - she right,flatish. Him left a rise in the centre of the long outside feather on each side.

Still no obvious behavioural signs of sex. He is bigger than her. Legs look to be about the same girth. I love their beautiful slate legs and toes and white toe nails - very picturesque!

Thoughts?
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Louise » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:11 pm

They are growing so fast lizziebee! So good seeing update photos like this. There is a definate difference in those combs, logically small comb would be a girl and the larger comb the boy. HA, but i dont know enough to help you out as I am still struggling to tell what my ones are. Its so strange as my Aras have quite different combs from each other OR they are the same combs but each chick is developing their combs at different levels of maturity despite being of the same age...if thats possible.
I really love the colour of your chicks. I must get more Lav ones myself. Adore my one and only Lav Araucana. But I absolutely love how my silver laced chap is developing. He has AMAZING feathers coming in. Very very hansome. I'll see if I can get some update pics of him soon. :D
Louise
Emu
Emu

Postby Louise » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Here is my Araucana chap at 10 weeks old. I LOVE his colour so much!! I've said so many times but I do...I think he is going to be very very hansome. Hope this guy is going to be happy being the Roo for my mix bred hens. I've got quite a few rather large girls, mixed heavy breeds, so I wonder if an Araucana roo will cope? LOL I know that a silkie roo can't. I've watch some of the hens walk away with my silkie chap still on their back!! :lol:
Louise
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Thanks for your comments Louise - and yes, your boy does have lovely colouring, and he has IMO, have nice proportions - be very interested to see him in full adult feather.

This week there has been a change in behaviour. The boy is definitely looking more like a boy - he has a sort of tall stance and only this morning there was some roosterish play with the girl. His legs are thickening and it may have nothing to do with the sex at all, but his legs are a lighter slate colour, hers are slimmer and much darker, making those lovely white toe nails glow! He also just seems to have more male looking features than she. So she stays and is named Arwen. Unfortunately, I will have to re-home him - but I am going to hang onto him a little longer than the other boy chicks I had. I just love watching them together. They are so independent now and are not bothered whether Mum is with them or not. If so they all hang together. Lovely little family. Maisey laid her first egg today since being broody - it is the longest, thinnest torpedo egg I've seen yet!
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby roobz316 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:59 pm

It looks like the silver is coming through a lot more now Louise, kinda like a silver birchen who gets silver on the neck as they start getting older. Is he inside on the carpet? I'd get shot if I brought anything inside :!:
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Louise » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:37 pm

They are a real delight to watch aren't they lizziebee. Totally understand wanting to hang onto your boy as long as possible.

roobz316 , lol. Yep he is inside on the carpet. The carpet is old and worn, totally due for new stuff. I can't wait to see him mature :D
Louise
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:17 pm

Chick update at 7weeks and 4 days - almost conclusive - boy and girl.
Her Comb
Him Comb
I got the legs wrong in my previous post - her legs are light and his are slate.
Her Legs
Him Legs
Arwen
Aragorn

Am really enjoying these two. They really are so lovely!
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby lizziebee » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:24 pm

Update at 11 Weeks 4 Days - it is confirmed - 1 Pullet 1 Cockeral
Aragorn
Arwen
And although I would dearly love to keep them both, I cannot keep Aragorn, so am looking to sell them together.

I'll get another couple of blue egg layers later in the season.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby nzkings » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:54 pm

How did you confirm it Lizzie? Did he crow?
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:51 pm

nzkings wrote:How did you confirm it Lizzie? Did he crow?

No he isn't crowing yet. But it really is unmistakable. He is so much bigger than she is and his feather pattern is very, very different. His comb is noticeably growing up and I can see, what I think are hackles and his tail is developing up high. He is amazingly confident and really, he just looks manly! He is really beautiful and he is going to be a big boy. I would so love to keep him. Whereas she is smaller, her tail is the same, lovely and upright, but without the extras he has, and her comb has not changed. She just looks more feminine. I'd be shocked if he was a female. The photos don't really show the differences as well as I can see them.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:30 pm

Finally I was able to get some of my neighbour's eggs to take pictures of to post here. She is breeding egg colours, not chicken colours. The white eggs are from White Leghorns. She's got Araucanas and all kinds of crosses, too.

Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Thomas » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Hi, I am new here and failed somehow to send a message directly. I am just starting with chickens, will get some brown shavers for egg laying. I would also like to get a couple of chicks for the blue eggs, which we like very much. Are those from a breed called Ameraucana? Is that the same as Araucana? Where would be the best place to look for 1-10 day old chicks in the area north of Bombay Hills (Auckland)? Kind regards, Thomas
Thomas
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Hi Thomas and welcome to PC.

You certainly have found the right thread to see what the Araucanas in NZ look like. And yes - it's the Araucanas who lay the blue-green eggs. Also all first crosses with Araucanas lay a blue-green or olive egg but there have been a few forum members who bought Araucanas crosses only to find brown eggs in the nesting box. One of the parents has to be an Araucana.

In NZ these chooks are called Araucana, in the USA they're called Ameraucana and look different but both lay the blue-green eggs.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby roobz316 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:43 am

Hi Thomas, shavers chicks are pretty commonly sold as a lot of people buy batchs and sell some off to cover costs or make a bit of $ here are some http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farmi ... 867771.htm, finding araucana chicks might take a bit more time, you might be best to buy some younger pullets later in the season.
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders