Araucana Boy? and Girl

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Re: Araucana Boy? and Girl

Postby Louise » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:24 pm

Oh and what about the black chick?
Louise
Emu
Emu

Re: FREE: Araucana Boy? and Girl (not related)

Postby buzzard » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:04 pm

Raven81 wrote:so a proper araucana shldnt have wattles??? mine must have something else in them. 1 has definite wattles the other 2 are frizzled & dont have any sign of them.
well ive learnt something new already today :lol:

I suppose its not that they shouldnt have wattles, (they shouldn't) but its more of a chicken and egg scenario

Proper Araucanas should have crests, muffs and a pea comb.

pea comb has a strong tendancy to reduce the size of the wattles, and muffs even moreso, and together they work in unison to completely reduce the wattles, so its not necessarly that they (Araucanas) shouldn't have wattles, its more that they should have pea combs and muffs, therefore 'removing' the wattles.

here's a mutt bird of mine with a pea comb, he has Araucana in his background, and has kept the peacomb, but lost the muffs, he still has wattles, but they are reduced in size, because of his peacomb
can you see that his comb still 'wants to be big' and thats why its a big ugly looking comb, but its still peacomb and compare his earlobe size to his wattles, normally these traits follow eachother but wattles here are noticeably smaller than what they should be if you look at the earlobe and o/all comb size.

now have a look at a faverolle, no pea comb, but with muffs:
from feathersite

you can see the significant reduction in size of his wattles - beacause of the muffs alone,

and when muffs are combined with pea comb - as is with Araucanas, it really does completely obliterate the wattles
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby lizziebee » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:31 pm

They are lovely pics Louise - interesting that my two are only 2 weeks younger and look so different - well their head feathers are not through enough yet. But here they are, be interested in any thoughts. I'll keep up with photographs so we can see what eventuates. Today they are 5 weeks and 4 days old.

The one on the right is the one I think is a boy.

The one on the left I think is a girl.

Here they are together.
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Louise » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Oh Lizziebee, they are gorgeous! They look to have a nice clean even colour to them. Your chicks combs are different to my ones. Especially my silver laced one. so very interesting to see these pics. Great way to learn to tell the diference and to see stages of development in araucanas.

Buzzard, that clears up the wattle issue nicely :D

Does eye colour matter in Araucanas? Like are they ment to have a particular colour?
Louise
Emu
Emu

Postby Raven81 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks for that explanation Buzzard, makes total sense now.
"Happiness is a journey not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby buzzard » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:32 pm

thanks Raven and Louise,its nice to get an acknowledgement,

lizziebee wrote:. But here they are, be interested in any thoughts. I'll keep up with photographs so we can see what eventuates. Today they are 5 weeks and 4 days old.

they are very pretty, but since you asked for thoughts, and this is not a critisim, just my thoughts, as I looked at the pics:
crest feathers dont necessarly grow in, they should be showing it at this stage, and the one on the right (first pic) actually looks like a walnut/strawberry comb, this is when peacomb and rosecomb combine.
So again, not a critisim, just an observation, (or maybe my brain just always observes critically when looking at chooks) and not seeing for what they are: pretty juvs that look like they are being reared really well!
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby sewren » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:36 pm

Buzzard - I really enjoy your chook-genetics lessons, I find it really interesting so thanks!! :) :geek: :)
Seventeen beautiful chooks in a rainbow of breeds and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Marina » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:52 pm

Louise wrote:Oh and what about the black chick?

Not sure - looks more girl-ish than boy-ish. Most Black Araucana males have some kind of other colour coming through in their hackle (either red or silver/white). Nice head-gear, too. So fingers crossed.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Marina » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:00 am

Araucana eye colour should be dark orange in the adult. In juveniles the eye colour is a lot darker but this will lighten up in time.

Regarding the crests: I can see crest feathers in both of lizziebees chicks - there certainly is something there, albeit not very much. Usually crests are visible at hatching but are affected by the moults chicks go through before they get their adult plumage. Will be interesting to see how these little crests grow out.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby lizziebee » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:56 am

buzzard wrote:thanks Raven and Louise,its nice to get an acknowledgement,

lizziebee wrote:. But here they are, be interested in any thoughts. I'll keep up with photographs so we can see what eventuates. Today they are 5 weeks and 4 days old.

I too always enjoy your comments buzzard - they are always informative, descriptive, detailed and interesting. I welcome all comments - I want to learn.
they are very pretty, but since you asked f
or thoughts, and this is not a critisim, just my thoughts, as I looked at the pics:
crest feathers dont necessarly grow in, they should be showing it at this stage, and the one on the right (first pic) actually looks like a walnut/strawberry comb, this is when peacomb and rosecomb combine.
So again, not a critisim, just an observation, (or maybe my brain just always observes critically when looking at chooks) and not seeing for what they are: pretty juvs that look like they are being reared really well!

I too always enjoy your comments buzzard - they are always informative, descriptive, detailed and interesting. I welcome all comments - I want to learn.

Marina wrote:Araucana eye colour should be dark orange in the adult. In juveniles the eye colour is a lot darker but this will lighten up in time.

Regarding the crests: I can see crest feathers in both of lizziebees chicks - there certainly is something there, albeit not very much. Usually crests are visible at hatching but are affected by the moults chicks go through before they get their adult plumage. Will be interesting to see how these little crests grow out.

Thanks too Marina. They are very pretty chicks and not having had standard chicks before (the others have all been bantams), it is a whole different experience.

These two in particular are very friendly, even though they are being broodie raised. Probably because Maisey is the friendliest of all my girls and when she comes to me, of course, the chicks follow. Since hatching both have been far more independent of Mum than the other chicks were. They don't spook, which I find really cool and they are not flighty at all.
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby 99chooks » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:32 am

Great lavender Lizzi, gorgeous colour. I appreciate the lessons in genetics too Buzzed but boy do they make my brain hurt :lol: I struggle to retain the info though so have to search out the posts and reread the info time and time again :oops:
99chooks
Turkey
Turkey

Postby buzzard » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:32 am

thanks guys! re-read that post and it does read like I'm drift net fishing for compliments - :oops:
its more thats its good to know that the posts are being appreciated, and worthwhile me be taking time uploading pics, and giving an explanation.

but this thread does show just how hard the Araucanas are to breed - there's alot going on!
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby lizziebee » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:25 pm

99chooks wrote:Great lavender Lizzi, gorgeous colour. I appreciate the lessons in genetics too Buzzed but boy do they make my brain hurt :lol: I struggle to retain the info though so have to search out the posts and reread the info time and time again :oops:

Oh that's me too 99chooks, absolutely! But then I do re-read the posts and each time something clicks - well occasionally!! That is the beauty of the forum, knowing it is here somewhere and searching it out. :)

Oh, and yes I think they are beautiful - but then I'm biased, and don't have any others of a similar colour - and next to Maisey they stand out.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby lizziebee » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:28 pm

buzzard wrote:thanks guys! re-read that post and it does read like I'm drift net fishing for compliments - :oops:
its more thats its good to know that the posts are being appreciated, and worthwhile me be taking time uploading pics, and giving an explanation.

but this thread does show just how hard the Araucanas are to breed - there's alot going on!

Indeed buzzard - but again this is a great exercise for us that want to know and for those in the future. And it is great to have the expertise of those on the forum for us that are more likely to concentrate on comb redness and size and not know about the other factors that might be particular to that breed. We should do this more often for other breeds and combine our knowledge and increase the knowledge of us that want to know. :D Oh, and not for a minute did I think you were fishing for compliments - acknowledgement is good - I certainly understand. ;)
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby buzzard » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:01 pm

lizziebee wrote:I too always enjoy your comments buzzard - they are always informative, descriptive, detailed and interesting. I welcome all comments - I want to learn.

Cheers Lizziebee, I;ve said before, learning is a 2 way street! I get to 'breed' Araucanas vicariously through you guys, so im benefiting too.
I like the saying, stand on another persons shoulders and you get to see a lot further
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders