Araucana Boy? and Girl

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Araucana Boy? and Girl

Postby nzkings » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:59 pm

[EDIT] Have been advised to sell these as a pair. They are unrelated and are from the North Island so would be good to introduce new lines to the South Island. PM me if interested, otherwise they will be going up on TM.

Cheers
Leah

At least I think he's a he.... Only 10 weeks old. Pick up is North Canterbury.
Last edited by PoultryCentral on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: admin edit, altered thread title
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Re: FREE: Lavender Araucana Cockeral??

Postby Marina » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:16 pm

I can't see anything that makes this bird a rooster. Araucanas are very difficult to sex so to be certain that this is a pullet you'll have to wait a few more weeks but I most certainly wouldn't give this bird away....
Marina
Emu
Emu

Re: FREE: Lavender Araucana Cockeral??

Postby nzkings » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:32 pm

I have two Araucanas Marina and the other one feathered up A LOT earlier than this one... and everyone said it was a boy. How old do you think before I'll know? I actually need to find homes for them either way, but would obviously like to be able to tell people if it is a boy or a girl... this is him(?) with the one we think is a girl.

"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Re: FS: Araucana Breeding Pair

Postby Marina » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 am

At 10 weeks it's still a bit early to see whether there are those pointy hackle and saddle feathers. In the very first pic of 'him' it looks as if there is something 'pointy' in his hackle but I can't see this in the other pics so the first pic may have just been taken when these feathers were a bit moist.

You say they are unrelated so how do you think you can compare them then... The blue one with the gold hackle looks a bit crossbred to me so there may be other factors involved in the earlier feathering up. However, she has got very nicely rounded saddle feathers which is a good indication for her being female.

The Lavender one is a standard colour, the other is not. There has been someone developing or trying to develop Blue Araucanas so the Blue must have come from some other breed - which may have just introduced the earlier feathering up.

If you hold 'him' with one hand and carefully look through the saddle feathers (the ones just before the tail) check whether you can see pointy shiny ones. They may only just be coming through so you have to know what you are looking for. They tend to be a bit darker than the other feathers at time of emerging.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby roobz316 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:44 am

I still have 2 that are 17 weeks that I'm not sure of, its my first go at araucana's and they are defo the hardest to sex. I put legbands on the faster feathering ones thinking pullets but they are totally different now they are bigger. I'll see if I have time to put pics up later to compare with your lav
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby nzkings » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Thanks for the info Marina... I would have no idea what I'm looking for so I guess I better wait a bit longer... and I'm only going by what others have suggested re him being a boy.... I wouldn't even begin to make that decision on my own, lol.

All these pics were taken within minutes of each other... yesterday.
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby PoultryValley » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:16 am

Hi OP. We have Araucana,
firstly I would agree with Marina that the blue one is a bit crossed with the gold coming through round the neck and the feathering up faster may have other influences from being crossed as well, as most of the colored ones on TM are crosses and a lot of the lavenders are too as well :shock: I have seen a lot advertised as 'purebreds' with wattles which they should not have and people are also selling eggs from these so called 'purebred' Araucana as well :( which is very sad for the breed and the unwitting buyer/s :o

We used to have very good lovely blues ( without any of this crossed colour look, Heir still has one of our blue hens ) and also lovely pure white ones as well, but with sooo many pens of poultry, we have cut back to just one pen again, with all lavender and one black pullet only.... to concentrate on other breeds.

Anyway sorry to get off course....

Araucana can be very hard to sex but some are definitely easy this young, but I would need to see the comb up close ?

However the lavender in your photo does look to have the stance of a male.

Males and females feather up fairly much the same with this breed, but if watching very closely the pullet chicks will get their wee tails first around two weeks old ( they will have a bit more tail than the male chicks ) but as they grow the males will slowly all catch up and look very much the same :o

If a 'he' - he will also start to get some flecks of colour around his neck soon IE; depending on where he came from ( what line ) he will get either silver or a straw colour coming through, it will only be very subtle at first and hard to see but you should see tiny amounts starting to come through in the hackle feathers around his neck if it is a male ( pullets do not get this colour ) he maybe a bit young yet for this, some start earlier and some a bit later :? Also have a good look at his comb whether it is very small and short ( female ) or if it has three lines, hard to describe ( male ) and If they are a bit crossed they can be all the harder to tell !

Good Luck :D
Last edited by PoultryCentral on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: admin edit, removed comment outside of PC rules
PoultryValley
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby lizziebee » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:05 am

This is great information everyone - thank you.

I have two 4 week Araucana chicks and have been observing them closely. One is a little bigger than the other, but not much and on one the comb area is pink and the other there is a bit of black. Also on one there are bigger knobbly bits on either side of the eyes - or is it above the eyes! Otherwise I have no clue. They both feathered out very, very quickly, compared to the Orpingtons. They both have lovely tails and their longest feathers seem to be the same length towards the tail. The Orpington chicks were easy to sex and at 4 weeks I had 2 girls and 1 boy - but they went off to their new home yesterday. :(

I've not had Araucana chicks before - they are quite different in temperament - more independent and not so needy of Mum - maybe that is because they feather up so quickly and don't require the same amount of warmth. And they seem to sort have longjohns at the tops of their legs - a great look! 8-)

In fact they are so different to others I have had, that I am thoroughly enjoying watching them and seeing the daily changes.

So, I guess it is a waiting game for me too.

Sorry to hijack nzkings!

;)
Maggie (Blue Australorp), Millie & Mandy (PBRs), Madelaine & Maisey (GLW), Missy (GLW x Shaver), Alice & Lily (Bantam Silver Pencilled Wyandottes) - 3xbtm Partridge Wyandottes & 2xFaverolles.
lizziebee
Chicken
Chicken

Postby roobz316 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:17 pm

These are 17 weeks the cockrel at the front has just started to redden up in the last 10 days or so. I can see the straw coloured flecks in the hackles now.

This black pullet is from one of your eggs Sandy, shes a bit short in the legs but a lovely quiet girl (22 weeks)
Sorry for hi-jacking this thread also nzkings
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby PoultryValley » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:25 pm

Oh how lovely, yes I kept the black pullet we have, as 'her mum' was so special - she was such a friendly & quiet wee thing ( sadly she is no longer in this world ) you would not believe how friendly she was and it seems to carry through too which is great for this breed :o although our girl is not as short in the legs, I thought it was just the photo :D
PoultryValley
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby nzkings » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:27 pm

Okay..... so here he(?) is growing up... I don't have a recent pic of his comb but will try to get one tomorrow night.

16 days old

4.5 weeks

7.5 weeks
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby Marina » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:42 am

Well, that comb definitely is rooster size....
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby nzkings » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Marina wrote:Well, that comb definitely is rooster size....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby PoultryValley » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:45 am

The comb is strange to say the least, ( well going by those photos ) never seen such a comb on an Araucana :o Wounder what it looks like now ?

A male comb should be pink and should have 3 distinguished lines, a bit like a railway track with another extra one in the middle which will end up the larger raised part of the comb once grown :?: ( hard to describe - better to show & tell ! )
PoultryValley
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Marina » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:55 am

PoultryValley wrote:A male comb should be pink and should have 3 distinguished lines

Should be pink - but as many aren't pink at that age (10 weeks or so) they are inherently difficult to sex. That's the main reason why I thought it was a female - because there is no colour in the comb in the pictures nzkings posted to start with.

Also what you describe is the 'ideal' of a pea comb but let's face it - most Araucanas have just got 'something' where the pea comb should be. Often it's a wriggly ugly thing but as long as they are lavender coloured, people sell them as Araucanas, then these birds are bred from and the offspring sold as "Araucanas' and on it goes. Not commenting on the shape of those birds - nothing much to do with Araucanas either...
Last edited by PoultryCentral on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: removed reference to a now edited, earlier post.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Next

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders