New Hampshire Reds

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Re: New Hampshire Reds

Postby nzkings » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:12 pm

MoreThanFine wrote:Just while your on the subject of the cable ties on the legs thing....forgive my newbie question but....why do you put them on?

I'd just be using them for ID purposes... I only have shavers and the ones I currently have all look the same! When we got them, we named them all, but now have no idea which one is who :lol: :lol: :lol:

CountryGirl, with cable ties wouldn't you have to cut them off? I bought some that clip together but at the time the chooks were too flighty for me to catch them, and I was also worried that once they were on I wouldn't be able to get them off as they grew. I've seen the spiral ones, and they look quite good but can't see how they'd go on.
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby CountryGirlNZ » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:35 pm

nzkings wrote:CountryGirl, with cable ties wouldn't you have to cut them off? I bought some that clip together but at the time the chooks were too flighty for me to catch them, and I was also worried that once they were on I wouldn't be able to get them off as they grew. I've seen the spiral ones, and they look quite good but can't see how they'd go on.

Yes with the cable ties, once they are on they are on for good unless you cut them, but with them being so cheap and versatile, they are by far the easiest method of leg banding! As they grow I just keep cutting old ones and adding new bands to make sure they don't get too tight. And if on the odd chance you forget to cut one off in time, the cable ties are small and thin so not much effort to try and remove still.

I've used the clip ones and HATE them. They are a bit of a struggle to put on and even more so to take off. My neighbours had them on their chooks, and they all got scaley leg at one stage - making the rings so tight the scales pushed all the way around and it was raw underneath. Trying to get them off was a nightmare as there was no room to try and slide/clip it open, and too hard to cut. The poor chooks, finally got them off but it looked pretty painful for them. :cry: And the spirals just take a little while to open and twist on, like putting a key on a key chain.
"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg.” - Samuel Butler
CountryGirlNZ
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby gonetothedogs » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:30 pm

Is there anyone breeding them down south otago, southland area? Be keen to try them or get some hatching eggs?
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby RussellBenington » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:37 pm

theres a person in lawrence... sorry really cant remember his name... though have heard rumours about him buying cheap, selling expensive.... will look into it for you..
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Postby gonetothedogs » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:48 pm

That would be great thanks. Eggs from them might be a cheaper choice. When you think of it though, its not cheap to raise pullets to point of lay.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby RussellBenington » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:10 pm

i know.... got three pullets from october last year still to lay :x :x ... got two more raising up to pol
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Postby ancovafarm » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:46 pm

I think that it has been such a cold season that they have been slow to come into lay. even now with one starting to lay, it is still sporadic.
ancovafarm
Chick
Chick

Postby RussellBenington » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:08 pm

sorry...but the lawrence guy turned out to be a dead end.... he doesnt have any new hampshire reds, just shavers and other rare breeds
RussellBenington
Emu
Emu

Postby 99chooks » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:15 pm

gonetothedogs wrote:Is there anyone breeding them down south otago, southland area? Be keen to try them or get some hatching eggs?

There's a couple of Mainlanders on the rarebreeds website.

http://www.rarebreeds.co.nz/directorye.html#chooks
99chooks
Turkey
Turkey

Postby gonetothedogs » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:40 pm

Thanks 99chooks.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby ancovafarm » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:41 pm

thx all for your good tips and advice and for sharing your expereinces with the NHS
ancovafarm
Chick
Chick

Postby chookdude » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:57 pm

Hi Countrygirl, your New Hamps are fabulous looking birds...and I take it those pullets will develop their lovely "necklace"as they mature.....

I wonder are you still breeding these? as I too am in Tauranga and have been looking for a local supply of eggs. Being a new member I cannot private message you - but you could with me...(?).

I am looking for fertile eggs this week, if possible to get into an already prepared incubator.

To anyone else out there, I am also looking for a good laying strain of Dble Laced Barnevelders......

Thanks.
chookdude
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi chookdude - have a look at the directory at www.rarebreeds.co.nz and you might find what you are after. I agree that NHRs are great chooks to have. They're brilliant layers, too.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby forestchooks » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:48 pm

CountryGirlNZ wrote:Hello! Well I breed them and love working on traits and improving their breeding. Mine have nice deep-bodies, lay amazingly (currently the only birds of mine laying through winter), have the correct colouration, legs, and nice faces. They are extremely placid too. I've just sold off all my spare cockerels, but I could always send you some eggs later on in the year?

I'll include a few photos of my birds...

Hi do you guys still breed NHR? Looking for new blood thanks Nick
forestchooks
Chick
Chick

Previous

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders