New Hampshire Reds

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

New Hampshire Reds

Postby ancovafarm » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:13 pm

Hi, I am getting seriously back into my New Hampshires.
This year I have 3 quality hens and a very good cockerel and 2 quality cockerels coming on for next year. I am interested in working with another breeder of quality to improve my genetic diversity. My Hew Hampshires are red without white, are heavy rather than too light boned and the boys have a good depth of chest. Their legs are yellow. Their temperaments are nice and their egg laying capacity is great. They lay well for up to 3 years, go broody at times but not excessively and one does tend to get large eggs and double yolkers in they mature hens. I would call them one of the lighter heavy breeds.
If anyone has birds like this and wants to share the off good rooster or hen I would love to network. :)
ancovafarm
Chick
Chick

Re: New Hampshire Reds

Postby CountryGirlNZ » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Hello! Well I breed them and love working on traits and improving their breeding. Mine have nice deep-bodies, lay amazingly (currently the only birds of mine laying through winter), have the correct colouration, legs, and nice faces. They are extremely placid too. I've just sold off all my spare cockerels, but I could always send you some eggs later on in the year?

I'll include a few photos of my birds...
"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg.” - Samuel Butler
CountryGirlNZ
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby nzkings » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:02 pm

They are lovely.... really like the black tails!
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby sude » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:55 pm

Your roo is very handsome, a lot like my one.
sude
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby nzkings » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:54 pm

I notice your girls have bands on... what type do you use, and are they easy enough to get on and off?
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby ancovafarm » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:04 pm

love them, they hens look really nice with deep colouring too
ancovafarm
Chick
Chick

Postby Louise » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:18 am

They are great looking chickens. So they are good layers then? Great to know as I have what I think is a New Hampshire Red, she has just started laying.
when she was a chick she grew these black shiny tail feathers and I seriously believed she'd be a roo...was a tad sad...thank god I got that wrong!
In this pic of her her tail feathers are just growing back after she moulted. Do you think she is a NHR?
Louise
Emu
Emu

Postby ancovafarm » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:52 pm

yup she looks like a nhr. they are great layers, have nice natures too.
Last edited by ancovafarm on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ancovafarm
Chick
Chick

Postby ancovafarm » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:54 pm

[quote="CountryGirlNZ"]Hello! Well I breed them and love working on traits and improving their breeding. Mine have nice deep-bodies, lay amazingly (currently the only birds of mine laying through winter), have the correct colouration, legs, and nice faces. They are extremely placid too. I've just sold off all my spare cockerels, but I could always send you some eggs later on in the year?

i would have a quality roo available for exchange if you are interested :) must get photos sometimes but the weather is so miserable
ancovafarm
Chick
Chick

Postby CountryGirlNZ » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:25 pm

nzkings wrote:I notice your girls have bands on... what type do you use, and are they easy enough to get on and off?

Yup! :D I use coloured cable ties. I used to purchase them on TM - 50x each of 5 colours for $5, but can't track down the seller any more! Great value and so easy to apply and remove. You've got to be very careful to regularly check them tho, to make sure they aren't getting too tight for the birds, especially if you use them on younger birds. But I would have been lost without them!

Louise wrote:They are great looking chickens. So they are good layers then? Great to know as I have what I think is a New Hampshire Red, she has just started laying.
when she was a chick she grew these black shiny tail feathers and I seriously believed she'd be a roo...was a tad sad...thank god I got that wrong!
In this pic of her her tail feathers are just growing back after she moulted. Do you think she is a NHR?

Yes she definitely looks like a NHR, although she has a few light feather shafts in some of her front feathers, whereas NHR are supposed to have a deep even red colour all over.... But she's a gorgeous looking bird all the same. :D

ancovafarm wrote:i would have a quality roo available for exchange if you are interested :) must get photos sometimes but the weather is so miserable

Thanks for that, I look forward to seeing some photos of your birds! I'm probably alright for another year with my current NHR roos, but perhaps an egg swap might be possible?
CountryGirlNZ
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby PoultryValley » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:13 pm

Nice looking Pullets country girl.... ;) You can get those cable ties in large packs with Yelow, Blue, Green, Red, Black and clears at The Warehouse and Mitre 10 ;) :D
PoultryValley
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby MoreThanFine » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:00 pm

Just while your on the subject of the cable ties on the legs thing....forgive my newbie question but....why do you put them on?
MoreThanFine
Quail
Quail

Postby PoultryValley » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:16 am

There are most likely many reasons that may differ from one person to another, but the biggest one being is for ID purposes - IE. say you buy in eggs or stock from another breeder, I will for example put a certain colour band on that stock, then sometimes I will put another color on the ones I want to keep or watch grow up for selection purposes, so you know one from another easily ? Or you may just want to mark your favorite hen or any other bird to ID quickly and easily.... Or so hubby does not sell it :o LOL there are many reason :D
PoultryValley
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby CountryGirlNZ » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:07 pm

PoultryValley wrote:Nice looking Pullets country girl.... ;)

Thanks Sandy, appreciate your kind words. :D

MoreThanFine wrote:Just while your on the subject of the cable ties on the legs thing....forgive my newbie question but....why do you put them on?

Yup I use them to identify different hatchings, for example, if I use different roosters with my breeding hens - I mark the offspring to keep them separate. Then I can observe them easily to see which parentage I prefer as they grow. I also mark sale birds and the ones I'm keeping so I don't accidentally sell the wrong ones. So pretty much the same reasons Poultryvalley said. ;)
CountryGirlNZ
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby Louise » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:55 am

Yes she definitely looks like a NHR, although she has a few light feather shafts in some of her front feathers, whereas NHR are supposed to have a deep even red colour all over.... But she's a gorgeous looking bird all the same. :D

Thanks for that :D This girl is my favourite out of all the chooks. She has such a great personality, cheeky monkey of a thing. And I do believe she is not a purebred so that most likely explains her lack of even colour. She lays these big dark brown eggs, such a contrast from all the cream and white coloured eggs I get from my other chooks.
Louise
Emu
Emu

Next

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders