Cochins

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Re: Cochins

Postby buzzard » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:44 am

Raven, I noticed a black 'cochin' female at Hastings show last year, she was a big brut of a thing, and without the black eyes,
she looked to me to be a ckl breeder female,
a fella started to chat to me at debenching, after he saw me boxing up some of my odd colour barnies, asking me how I made them, I didn't have much time to chat, but he was a lovely chap and turned out he was the exhibitor of the black 'cochin'
I can PM you his details if you want
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Raven81 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:54 am

that would be great thanks Buzzard. its hard to see how others are getting on when i dont know who else has them lol.
"Happiness is a journey not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Raven81 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:30 pm

here is an updated pic of the splash boy, im rather impressed with him so far except he has a couple of buff feathers..
nd a few pullets from last seasons hatchings. still not perfect in the tail.
this girl is a orp / cochin.
nd a few boys i will be using this coming season.
"Happiness is a journey not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Marina » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:35 am

You definitely have your work cut out!

Re the buff Cochin females: typical that the best coloured one has white legs :(

If you introduce Pekin you'll improve the foot feathering and the shape but the laying ability will suffer. Also the short legs are difficult to get rid of so be prepared for a looong road ahead.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Raven81 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:01 am

yes the only one without black in the tail or neck has the wrong legs.... i do have 4 others i can pick from that arnt pictured above. 2 of them r like a brick shthouse..... i moved them 2 nites ago as they r lying & were still in the growers pen nd my god they were heavy....... wld be a good 4kgs each.
Marina wrote:You definitely have your work cut out!

so is that a bad thing???? am i totally going in the wrong direction or something?

hey at least im trying........... nd i AM improving what i started with
Last edited by Raven81 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Raven81 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:06 am

shld i not use orps & pekins to imrove??????
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby buzzard » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:41 am

thumbs up from me Raven, I can see the reasoning with the birds you have there

- my experience with 'up sizing' pekins, you lose the shape quite quickly, and as Marina has said - those darn short legs, but you can get something that is not dissimilar to a smaller heavy breed in 3 generations

If I would go for orps, I would go for a big , brutish over cooked orp female
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Marina » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:47 am

Raven, that was a positive comment but I think you're taking on a bit much all at the same time. It depends on your space, finances and stamina whether you can pull it off. You'll get a lot of mongrels that don't sell particularly well so probably not much opportunity to even cover cost.

The Buff Pekin looks lovely, neat shape and intense colouring and you have several nice females to go with him. They would lead you to something presentable fairly quickly.

I agree that there is much to be improved with the Cochin as they came from Roger several years ago now. However, he's made incredible progress, too. What he produces is the Shanghai Cochin as it came out of China 150 years ago - and his birds are now pure buff, a bit of feathering on the middle toes, early maturers, brilliant layers and mothers and really really good size. He's not interested in making fluff balls but fluff balls is what the standard specifies.

So yes, there is room for what you intend to do. Just keep the best large females you have for years to come so you can go back to them to increase size again as the Pekin will make them significantly smaller. It's not just one bantamizing gene - there are several genes involved that make chooks small.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Raven81 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:08 am

just wanted to clarify that my plans are heading in the right direction. i am selling off most of my other breeds to make room for them & will be doing paired matings instead of groups.
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby buzzard » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:15 am

Raven81 wrote:& will be doing paired matings instead of groups.

thumbs up
and you don't need many offspring in the first gen crosses, just enough to get what you need for the next step, when the pieces are there on both sides of the cross, that's when you are best served to put the hammer down with numbers (using groups of hens)
buzzard
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Raven81 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:31 pm

ok its been awhile since ive posted. instead of making a huge post with lots of pics im just going to put a link to my external album im making with this yrs birds.. the blues have come from the splash lad in pic above & the black girl from last yr. have sold / lost some this season :cry: but overall im happy with the progress.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q2b6za546aug ... hZCpa?dl=0

hope it worked.
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Marina » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:01 pm

It works for me :D

Love the male in pic 14 and several others look very promising to me. One blue female has nice yellow legs without slate covering it - excellent result.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Raven81 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:42 pm

thanks Marina. yes 1 blue girl has quite bright yellow legs but also has buff on her chin/neck.
#14 is the lovely lemon cuckoo... quite a nice boy & filling out finally
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Kracka » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:02 am

the blue girl - is that the one in photo 24? I like the look of her, she looks a nice full rounded shape - quite orpy-ish, she looks lovely
I need to read up on the Cochin colours - I take it she should be solid blue? is it blue laced like an Orpy or solid blue like a Pekin (although we get away with lacing now)
so did the Pekins cross okay? I'm thinking step ladders for the Pekin boys?!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Raven81 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:53 pm

yes she is also in pic 3,4. you are correct they should be a solid blue ( without lacing).
the pekin thing didnt really work try as they might but they just cldnt reach :lol: had to give them 100 points for effort thou. need to learn how to AI.
some of them are from orpy hens which explains the lacing & shape.
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders