Cochins

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Re: Cochins

Postby gonetothedogs » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:34 pm

He has more colour over his back and wings. He's very pretty,(or handsome). I think I like him better than how he should look. Micheal just emailed back and he is having a bit of luck with breeding blue and also splash white Cochins.
Last edited by gonetothedogs on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Raven81 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:02 pm

i have a nice splash boy but unfortunately he has brown markings too
"Happiness is a journey not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby gonetothedogs » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:05 pm

You'll have to put a photo up. Hoping to have time to call in on sunday after wedding. You going to be around?
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Raven81 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:09 pm

hopefully will be. just give me a txt or something
"Happiness is a journey not a destination. Work like you don't need money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like no one's watching."
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Raven81 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:12 pm

Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Marina » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:11 am

Raven, re the black Cochin. The chick looks like what I got from Roger's birds - nice penguin hatch down and fluffy leg and outer toe.

The hen - does she have yellow pads? She's a nice looking bird, seems to be quite big? The devil is in the detail like the legs should have at least a yellowish tinge (ideally yellow legs) and her eyes should be orange but Roger hasn't got that yet, either, and getting it isn't a quick process. She certainly can take it up with whatever else is out there at this point in time.

The columbian birds look nice and chunky and they have beautiful yellow legs. Perfection is something we all strive to achieve but the road is long and winding.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby gonetothedogs » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:19 am

Roger will never improve the breed now, he's sold up and no longer breeding poultry. Just been emailing Michael in chch and he has been breeding a far bit this season and has blues and white splashes coming along nicely. I'm breeding to improve the breed and not a new colour. Though, have been trying to breed whites for 2 years and this is fine, but the white rocks are too strong in the breed and leg feathering not good in girls.At least with the whites, I am hatching out 90% or better, in pullets. There are some plus's, great rooster!
Have a second cross hatch but none showing leg feathering when hatched. But, the main pen or lemons, cuckoos, buffs and gold barred are doing very well. My 3 1/2 month olds have feathering down the toes and good size.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Marina » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:26 am

GTTD - if you cross a buff with a black you get all kinds of colour combinations. You may or may not get a nicely laced bird but most will be gold in the front and black-ish in the back. However, these birds will be useless if you want to include them in a solid colour breeding program. I've tried 7 generations to get things back several years back and the best I got was a dirty buff bird with a black tail from my buff strain and blue birds with very dirty brownish hackles on the black/blue side. If barring is involved, some of the offspring (or all if the male is barred) will be barred. With 2 colours involved it gets a bit untidy. And they don't breed true.

I had many many dozens of these coloured birds and, although their temperament was 100% Orpington, couldn't sell them for $15 each when I got $30 easily for a solid coloured bird. (I always kept pure blue and pure black Orps and bred those mixtures back to good quality solid coloured birds but the 'dirty' look always came through.)

Crossing the mixture birds with each other resulted in the loveliest patterns, some came out kind-of pencilled, others with just a bit of gold coming through in the hackles, or almost red or buff with a few black feathers, but no-one wanted these birds and I ended up distributing them among friends who never forgot to mention that they loved the solid coloured ones they saw at my place much better than the ones I had given them :evil:

There may be such birds for sale on TradeMe but if you check 'expired listings' you'll often see that these birds have been re-listed many times before they finally sold.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Marina » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:32 am

gonetothedogs wrote:Roger will never improve the breed now, he's sold up and no longer breeding poultry.

You are correct in regard to the Black and Blue Cochins - there are several breeders who've taken them on which is great. There is a fair bit of work to do still and I do know Michael, too - he's doing a great job.

Roger is moving on to a new project, still under wraps, but some of the foundation birds are at my place until he settles at his new place :D So everything going according to plan exciting times are ahead :D :D
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby gonetothedogs » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:37 am

You're not Lynette Munro's daughter? She gets hatching eggs off me and live in the same area as us.

I don't have one Orpington and not interested in breeding black or blues. Getting good Cochins from what I have is more important than new colours, even if I have been trying with whites for a while. I get whites all the time, just lacking good leg feathering.
gonetothedogs
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Marina » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:04 am

gonetothedogs wrote:You're not Lynette Munro's daughter?

No, I'm not, don't even know her.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Raven81 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:13 am

Marina wrote:Raven, re the black Cochin. The chick looks like what I got from Roger's birds - nice penguin hatch down and fluffy leg and outer toe.

The hen - does she have yellow pads? She's a nice looking bird, seems to be quite big? The devil is in the detail like the legs should have at least a yellowish tinge (ideally yellow legs) and her eyes should be orange but Roger hasn't got that yet, either, and getting it isn't a quick process. She certainly can take it up with whatever else is out there at this point in time.

The columbian birds look nice and chunky and they have beautiful yellow legs. Perfection is something we all strive to achieve but the road is long and winding.

thanks Marina. yes her pads are yellowish, not bright.
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Raven81 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:58 pm

well ive recently found out that what i thought i had brought from a reputable breeder wasnt what i thought i was buying & im very disappointed in said breeder....but explains y i havnt been getting the results i shld have.... .. so ive now gone back to basics & wont be sharing much till im where i shld be by now. i also have a hand in a few other projects but they are just starting out. so excuse me while i get things sorted... i will be back ;)
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Marina » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:12 am

Hi Raven - do you mean the 'chocolate' boy you purchased last autumn? He's just a cross between a buff and a black/blue of some sorts, as are his brothers.

Don't worry about pale yellow pads - this still means that she carries 2 copies of the yellow leg gene. Sometimes it comes out as bright yellow, other times quite pale but you've still got the desired genes there.

Anything you breed from her, no matter what leg colour, will carry one copy of the yellow leg gene.

It takes ages (as described in one of my previous posts) and hundreds of chicks to get a solid colour back after a cross between black and buff so yes, going back to basics makes sense. I always try to keep the parents until I have their grandchicks on the ground just in case I have to go back because I've lost some trait.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Raven81 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:21 am

no im talking about the girls, i know the boys breeding.
Raven81
Turkey
Turkey

PreviousNext

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders