Rumpless Chickens

A place to discuss or ask questions about specific breeds!

Also contains a list of what breeds our members are currently breeding.

Re: Rumpless Chickens

Postby judith01 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:17 pm

my girl has no bum :lol: , well no tail bump at all, i trimed around her mon cha cha :oops: so the rooster could mate her ;)
judith01
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby sharron » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:05 am

99chooks wrote:
sharron wrote:I think we all have dodgy araucanas,
I have had a closed group for a few years now and this is the first dickey one so she must be a throw back or a hatching problem. I will grab her at some stage to see if she has a parsons nose but I guess she must do if she has one tail feather. As you can appreciate free ranging Arau's aren't that easy to catch :D .

LOL she must look really funny with one feather **indian head dress in reverse**
We had an Ara come out last night with a heap of chicks, one wild momma chooken, managed to get a few of the chicks and stick them in with a girl thats just hatching who we found her sitting in an old galvanised babys bath down in a shed down the back just in time to get her moved to a secure cage. Yeap Ara's sure present a few challenges. :roll:
"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals
The process of knowledge is a constant elimination of what you think you know
sharron
Chicken
Chicken

Postby judith01 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:25 pm

not a good photo taken with my phone, she didnt want her mon cha cha shown all around the country! :lol:
judith01
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby sharron » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:10 pm

That little bit sticking out the back is her tail bone, a rumpless bird doesnt have that in it skeletal makeup

http://www.poultrymatters.com/photopost ... letons.jpg
"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals
sharron
Chicken
Chicken

Postby judith01 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:32 pm

its the feathers i cut around her butt, she wouldnt let me take photo from right behind her, will try get someone to hold her next time
judith01
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby judith01 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Well, i have a 2nd rumpless Aro, this one is white, she/he (hoping for a he) has no tail bone, you can feel just the leg/hip bones that join at the butt. No sign of any tail bone in fact there is an indent. So, i ask myself, why is it white when my other rump-less is lavender and has not been with the white aro rooster. Does she carry white? could do, but in all honesty every egg that i sat that i knew was hers never hatched but sometimes i didnt know her eggs so maybe so. I guess she/he would be one out of 50 i have hatched in the last 6 months. So not a high number, i so hope its a roo so i can put him with the other hen but it is looking more like a pullet.
judith01
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby 99chooks » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:56 pm

judith01 wrote:6but it is looking more like a pullet.
Isn't that just flaming typical! :lol:
99chooks
Turkey
Turkey

Postby judith01 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:29 pm

yep, when you want a roo you can bred on for love or money!
judith01
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby sharron » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:37 am

ok here goes, white is not always white: lavendar is black, hence the gold strawing on roosters which is actually red all recessive stuff. But lavendar matings become diluted and you get white birds. To get good lavendars with no strawing you need to breed back to black to clean it all up. Hence your white is a white but its more likely to be lavendar :roll: :?
As for the rumpless, its just as likely that its not from your rumpless but from its parent stock. Aberrations could also cause infertility and lethal genes hence nothing hatching from said chooken.
Who would think that the humble chooken could be so complicated
sharron
Chicken
Chicken

Rumpless Genes

Postby poultrytown » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:55 am

Can somebody help me to understand the way rumpless gene work in araucana? I'm talking about these genes...

Dominant Rumplessness Rp No coccyx (tail vertebra), reduces hatchability

rp+ Wild-type gene. Recessive. Lack of dominant rumplessness. Fowls usually have tails

Recessive Rumplessness rp-2 A skeletal mutation commonly called 'roachback'

Thanks in advance
Thomas
poultrytown
Chick
Chick

Re: Rumpless Genes

Postby sharron » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:34 pm

poultrytown wrote:Can somebody help me to understand the way rumpless gene work in araucana? I'm talking about these genes...

Dominant Rumplessness Rp No coccyx (tail vertebra), reduces hatchability

rp+ Wild-type gene. Recessive. Lack of dominant rumplessness. Fowls usually have tails

Recessive Rumplessness rp-2 A skeletal mutation commonly called 'roachback'

Thanks in advance
Thomas

Firstly we dont have the rumpless breed or the genetics for this breed, so any work done in regards to creating a rumpless araucana from NZ stock is unlikely to be successful. The Araucana of Chile or the ones in the States are a totally different bird than the Araucana in nz or the Americana. Sorry not to be more helpful
sharron
Chicken
Chicken

Previous

Return to Breeds, Breeding and Breeders