Automatic feeders

Post your favourite jokes, latest news stories etc in here! Remember this is a family forum!
Also:
* On the Farm
* In the kitchen

Automatic feeders

Postby Kracka » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:06 pm

I've just installed 10 chookateria type feeders (the bird stands on the treadle and the lid opens up, exposing the feed)

The Hamburgs got the hang of these new aluminium feeders by about day 2, the Pekin bantams are taking a bit longer...

I've had one for of these feeders for ages and over the years I've found a few odd things in it:
- a dead sparrow or two
- tiger slug

but this morning, I found a Pekin bantam egg in there!
it stopped me in my tracks - did she get shut in & laid the egg while waiting to get out? or did she just hang her butt over the edge & drop it off??
the ones I have are cheap Chinese knock offs, I don't think the feed compartment is deep enough for a bird to sit in there

anyone else found anything odd in their feeders?
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Re: Automatic feeders

Postby sewren » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:14 pm

Ha ha - an egg in there is amazing!! Would have been interesting to see her doing that.

I've had a few sparrows in ours, sometimes dead, sometimes alive and just waiting to get free! At our old house the hedgehogs learned to use it too - I used to find them in there at night if I went out. Those ones would get relocated (down the road to a neighbour's house!)
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby sleepinghorse » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:16 pm

Just sparrows. Only 2 live ones ever and at least 1 to 2 dead sparrows each week, either outside the feeder or half in and half out. Poor things.
1 Barnevelder
3 Plymouth Barred Rocks
1 Orpington
1 Speckled Sussex
1 Brown Leghorn
Visit my blog http://mytinybroodofbackyardchooks.wordpress.com
sleepinghorse
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby tishie11 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:37 pm

Quite a few dead sparrows and once a wild dove completely inside it - saw its tail sticking up!
tishie11
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Marina » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:58 am

Sparrows dead and alive. But no egg. Pity :shock:
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to Fun & Off Topic!