Winter has come Early

Post your favourite jokes, latest news stories etc in here! Remember this is a family forum!
Also:
* On the Farm
* In the kitchen

Winter has come Early

Postby Marina » Mon May 26, 2014 10:50 am

It's snowing here in Christchurch at sea level - big fat snow flakes but they're not settling - yet.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Re: Winter has come Early

Postby roobz316 » Mon May 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Still haven't had our first frost yet. Last night was the first time I lit the fire although that maybe because I only just got around to putting a load of wood in the shed. But a week or so of sunny days would be nice, still struggling for grass after the drought
roobz316
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Kracka » Mon May 26, 2014 2:27 pm

I haven't mowed my lawn since early summer - admittedly its a bit untidy, but its definitely not knee high (even on me!)
so we didn't get the grass I would have liked

but its DEFINITELY not snowing!
brrrr, my son wants to see/touch snow, but I'd rather go to see it, than have it arrive at my place :o
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Shoes2468 » Mon May 26, 2014 7:28 pm

It was very pretty for a few hours. I wondered if it was going to settle as well. Maybe a hint of what is to come this winter!
Shoes2468
Quail
Quail

Postby GillyJ » Mon May 26, 2014 8:14 pm

It is even a bit cold up here in BOI tonight…. got the fire going and Daisy, my Shelduck, did not want to go outside into her barn :D
GillyJ
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby sewren » Mon May 26, 2014 8:42 pm

Weren't they lovely fluffy snowflakes this morning...?

The weather was mental today - I think I saw everything that mother nature can trow at us weather wise, snow, hail, rain, and wind in between snippents of beautiful sunshine. Strange old day!
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Kracka » Tue May 27, 2014 10:06 am

zero degrees in the roof space this morning - South Auckland, had some crunchy grass....
on the radio they said it was -4 at Christchurch!
hope you guys are keeping warm!?!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby 99chooks » Wed May 28, 2014 12:01 pm

North Waikato here, frozen chook water and some very puffed up looking chooks for the second day. Hope it kills my Kikuia (sp) grass :twisted:
99chooks
Turkey
Turkey

Postby seatil » Wed May 28, 2014 12:25 pm

Had to defrost the cars this morning. In Whangarei, not something I expected to need to do. Hope it doesn't kill our kikuyu (or the other bazillion frost-sensitive plants we have)! The paddocks and lawn would be nekkid.
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Marina » Wed May 28, 2014 2:56 pm

Only a light frost this morning but yesterday everything was crunchy until about 10am when things started to thaw. All frost sensitive plants are now a sorry sight but, unlike you guys up North, we're used to this. Lemon tree and mandarin tree were covered so are fine and everything else that's frost tender has to grow again from seeds/bulbs/rhizomes next season. But it was very very cold, even to our standards. Hope the subtropical North didn't sustain lasting damage.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Thu May 29, 2014 10:14 am

Tues morning was -1 in the roof space when I got up - ice on everything, white lawn, the dark green roof on the house looked white
but it was a balmy 9C this morning - the cloud has rolled in

plenty of frost burnt trees around the place - neighbour has planted some lovely Purriri and they're burnt now
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Jeramanikk » Sun May 10, 2015 5:51 am

a part of me really loves snow ! ahahah its bad for crops and breeding but it is one of the best times of the yr for me! 8-)
Jeramanikk
Chick
Chick

Return to Fun & Off Topic!