OWL

Post your favourite jokes, latest news stories etc in here! Remember this is a family forum!
Also:
* On the Farm
* In the kitchen

OWL

Postby chickenlady1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:16 pm

Chatting to a friend today who told me this story.
She came home the other night and had to stop to open her gate to get the car in.
She thought she saw something moving on the road...so turned the car and shone its headlights on it.
Believe it or not...she saw quite a large Owl...not the wee variety(the little Morepork or RuRu).. but she described as having a big round face...like the pictures of Barn Owls.
Do we have this type here in NZ???? I would have loved to see it.
It wasnt frightened and looked at her for a while before slowly flying off.
Your thoughts on this one please. :| :| :|
chickenlady1
Pheasant
Pheasant

Re: OWL

Postby Scarlet » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:30 am

Yep, there are Barn Owls in NZ, and they've recently been classed as native. More info here: http://blog.forestandbird.org.nz/our-ne ... -barn-owl/ :)

I'd love to see one, too!
2 BPR crosses (Trouble and Brownie), 1 BLW (Lily), 1 Partridge Wyandotte (Rosie), 1 Black Orpington (Nigella), 3 Barnevelders (Alison, Annabel and Delia), and one Barnevelder cockerel (Gordon).
Scarlet
Pheasant
Pheasant

Postby nzkings » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:04 am

Wow, that's really interesting! I had no idea that barn owls existed in NZ, though I saw my fair share of them in the UK. They are just gorgeous birds!
"Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral.” - Frank Lloyd Wright
nzkings
Emu
Emu

Postby wolga » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:53 am

There are quite a few around. We hardly see them because they are only active at night . Lovely birds who kill lots of rats. :D
wolga

Postby Marina » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:21 pm

I love owls - would love to have a pet one.

I've seen a Morepork recently - it was perched on our trailer and eventually flew off without making the tiniest of noises.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby wolga » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:11 pm

I've read that a wooden nest box high up in a big tree might entice a pair of owls to breed there. I'm
planning to try that on our new block. It would be so cool if one pair would settle on our land.
wolga

Postby llvonn » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:28 pm

There's a really good book series about owls - main character was a Barn Owl (Tyto Alba). The series is called The Guardians of Ga'hoole. Book one is The Capture.

Good series - lots of Owl facts (although I would point out that it is Fantasy - some person on Amazon gave the book a low mark because owls can not read due to lack of eye muscles, among other things :lol: )
llvonn
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Jeramanikk » Sun May 10, 2015 5:53 am

wow i remember this site http://www.astrologyjunction.com/ use 2 have like owl superstitions along with its face shapes on the side, doesn't anymore but wish it did so i could of helped u.From my owl experience it could be a barn owl because they are usually the most common to see out there... Go to google and look up 'owl breeds' nd like a list of things should appear :shock:
Jeramanikk
Chick
Chick

Return to Fun & Off Topic!