Project Motzle January 2017

Show off your poultry here!

Project Motzle January 2017

Postby seatil » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:15 pm

It's been a while since I posted anything from Project Motzle (if you don't know what that is, go hit the search button up top searching for 'Project Motzle').

The main goal was to produce a non-broody, heavy, with no to limited flight, black bird with white spots and frizzled feathers that laid a decent number of eggs. I'm happy to say we've at least achieved black birds with white spots and frizzling. Limited flight is a work in progress, and broodiness so far seems limited to one bird (cue them all going broody now). They're not too shabby at egg laying, but could be better. Mareks unfortunately is taking some of these birds out as they reach 2 years old, which is a bit of a shame. Hopefully somewhere down the line I can select for better resistance.

But I digress... the point of this post was to show off the side goal, which up until this point I've been mum on. That is, a frizzled mille fleur type built only from Project Motzle birds. The original birds had all of the components necessary but not in the same bird. It's taken three years and some ridiculous luck to get this far, but here she is, in all her spotty glory :D (No, she's not frizzled, but that part /should/ be easy to achieve next generation.)

I have one more female, offsite at present.

There's a LOT more work to do, including using these two girls to breed myself some mille fleur roosters that I can (eventually) use to make guaranteed mille fleurs (rather than winning probability roulette like I did with these two), and then refining what I've got until I've got something that doesn't roost 20m up a tree... :sigh:
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Re: Project Motzle January 2017

Postby Marina » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:13 am

Nice :D

Just a comment regarding Mareks at 2 years of age. It can happen but is unlikely. Have you ever done a post mortem? Are the poos green before they die? Is it the classic form of Markes with paralysis or do they loose weight?
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby seatil » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:36 am

We've worked with our vet and had samples taken and sent to various labs for diagnosis. Primary symptoms in these birds are tumours - internal and external with weight loss and eventual starvation with the green faeces typical of that.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby sewren » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:32 pm

She's lovely - hurrah for probability roulette! Great if you can get a roo to put with them. How big do you reckon she will grow (compared with other breeds)?

Sorry to hear you've been having disease issues - that sucks :(
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Marina » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:46 pm

Lymphoid Leucosis is much more likely than Mareks to occur in a 2 year old chook. Unless the vet was able to identify the virus I'd investigate the possibility of Lymphoid Leucosis. It's passed on though the egg, droppings are green (Mareks hardly ever shows green droppings, only really when the kidneys are riddled with tumors). Both Lymphoid Leucosis and Mareks show tumors but in Markes the intestines are never affected with tumors while in Lymphoid Leucosis the intestines are riddled with tumors in the majority of cases.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby seatil » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:55 pm

sewren wrote:She's lovely - hurrah for probability roulette! Great if you can get a roo to put with them. How big do you reckon she will grow (compared with other breeds)?

I'm expecting similar to a White Leghorn or Ancona, possibly a touch larger.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Kracka » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:15 am

she's very pretty - that's why I have the Spangles/Mille Fleur Pekins, they're hard to resist (but so far eluding me with any sort of decent type)
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Return to My Birds