Quail Pics

Show off your poultry here!

Quail Pics

Postby seatil » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:01 am

At the farmer's market a few weeks ago on a whim I bought a box of 12 quail eggs to pop into the incubator. No idea if the eggs had been in a fridge or not, but I did at least have the foresight to check if there was a male with the hens.

Fast forward two and a bit weeks, and we have this:

Ignore the oversized intruder - geese are terrible parents. Eventually I got 7 quail from 7 viable eggs (of the original 12: 4 infertile, 1 rotten).

Another quail died at a couple of days old - failed to start eating and drinking, but a week (ish) later I have 6 left:

Such tiny things! A far better hatch rate than last time -- last time I got 2/12 and they were all late, so this time upped the temperature to 37.7C and they popped out about a day early but very vigorous. Happy with this. Fingers crossed for lots of girls now, otherwise other half is going to be having a fair few quail dinners.
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Re: Quail Pics

Postby sewren » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:25 pm

Ha ha - I did do a double take at the big beast in there, thinking "that's not a quail!!" :lol:
Is the difference in colour a boy-girl thing, or just random, do you know...? I really have no idea about quail, but they are cute wee things :)
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby seatil » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:40 pm

They're Japanese Quail, which come in a bazillion colours apparently, so I'm assuming I have multiple colours. Some of the yellow ones have black spots on their heads -- wondering if that will indicate boy/girl at all.
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby sewren » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:47 pm

Ah yes, I just googleed 'japanese quail colours' and there are heaps!

This one is pretty - hope you get one like this:
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Japan ... M4UBqOM%3A
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby eae » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:00 pm

Cool! That's a pretty good success rate from what was destined to be a box of eating eggs. I just love quail - I find them such a pleasing shape to look at. We've got a group that live a little way down our road.. from a distance I often think they're just fat sparrows having a good dust bath in the road, until I get closer and they scoot off the road rather than taking off flying :) We had California Quail at a previous property, and they were fun to watch with their little head feather bobbing around..
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Return to My Birds