Avitars

Show off your poultry here!

Avitars

Postby nhb » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:30 pm

I have tried to get a avitar on a few times now but none of my photos seem to be 150×150 mp this is most frustrating. How are you supposed to know the correct size photo .am I correct in thinking it is not a normal size.
nhb
Quail
Quail

Re: Avitars

Postby wolga » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:52 am

Yes that is a bit of a challenge. I had to try several times too. In the end I had to crop just the head of a rooster out of a picture with a whole flock to get the right size.
A right click on the picture should show you the size. Good luck !
wolga

Postby sewren » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:41 pm

Yeah, I actually tried to change my avatar the other day but couldn't get the photo I wanted down to a small enough size easily. I would need to go online and use a programme like pixlr or something else to change the quality of the photo, because I don't think you can reduce the quality (but not the size) in any of the free things that come with Windows these days... Unfortunately one side effect of the ever increasing number of megapixels in cameras is that photos are just huge in memory size, in most cases unnecessarily so, which means a bit more fiddling to get them down.

If you can find a programme that does it, you can change the number of pixels per inch (or dpi) to 72, which is plenty for a nice picture on screen, but not good enough quality to print out, which should help get the size down small enough....
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby Marina » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:05 pm

I've never tried to upload an avatar but when I look at other people's avatars I can't see them. Anbody else can't see them?

Windows offers 'Paint' where you can reduce the size of a photo to exactly the number of pixels you want. Click on the windows symbol, select 'Paint', drag your picture into the window, click 'Resize', then 'pixels', write number of desired pixels, save, finished.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby sewren » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:43 pm

Marina wrote:I've never tried to upload an avatar but when I look at other people's avatars I can't see them. Anbody else can't see them?

To be honest, they seem to have disappear about since this thread was started - spooky! :shock:
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby eae » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:40 pm

I can see them fine.. :?
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby seatil » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:05 pm

sewren wrote:
Marina wrote:I've never tried to upload an avatar but when I look at other people's avatars I can't see them. Anbody else can't see them?

To be honest, they seem to have disappear about since this thread was started - spooky! :shock:

It certainly looks that way. They were visible yesterday. Mine which was set in my user profile has disappeared. :(

Trying to upload a new avatar results in the following message:

Code: Select all
Could not upload avatar to ./images/avatars/upload/17dbe3cdbaf22f558d684b07587e8926_1635.jpg.

Permission problems/missing folder in the upload directory?
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby PoultryCentral » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:34 am

Unfortunately the table which holds the avatars is corrupted. We've had this before - when someone tried to upload a cartoon picture from the Internet which contained a virus. In that case we had a recent back-up and only lost 2 days worth of posts but this time the most recent backup is from September 9th. Please be sensible with what you choose as avatars. We are working on trying to fix it but we are only volunteers with limited time.
PoultryCentral
System Account

Return to My Birds