High Flyers!

Show off your poultry here!

High Flyers!

Postby jasper39 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:09 pm

I was in the house this morning and could hear a fair bit of noise going on in the garden ~ i wandered out and this is what i saw!

I have a couple of screens which i have used to section off my deck area ~ chickens have the grass and we enjoy our space ... but my two new girls obviously thought they could have a bit of fun here ~ they were like a couple of tightrope walkers as they edged their way along ... :D

I am sure they are keen to make the move and jump into the " forbidden area " but they did not and after a few minutes jumped down onto the grass ... my original girl has never done this and can be seen in the first photo standing looking at her two new daredevil friends!

jasper39
Chick
Chick

Re: High Flyers!

Postby Marina » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:02 pm

Cheeky! They needed to know what's on the other side of the fence, I guess.

Shavers and Hylines are very mobile birds. If they make a habit of flying into the forbidden zone then clipping one wing could be an option. However, with all that space they have available they should be very content indeed.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Postby jasper39 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:49 am

Thanks Marina ~ they are indeed curious and i think that is one of the things that make them such lovely backyard companions :)

I am happy to say that their curiosity seems to have been satisfied and they have not done this again ~ i have recently cut down some large branches of an old tree i have in the garden and made a very popular perching and climbing area ... they love sitting preening themselves on the branches and my cat finds their pampering sessions quite interesting as she enjoys just sitting watching them ~ the hens never bother about her as she is a gentle and quiet cat and never chases them ... if anything she helps as a neighbours cat tried to come into the garden the other day and my cat chased it away ... before the hens were alarmed :)
jasper39
Chick
Chick

Postby Marina » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:16 pm

I hope they thank you for your efforts with plenty of eggs!
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to My Birds