Yet More Chicks

Show off your poultry here!

Yet More Chicks

Postby seatil » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:47 pm

My shiny new cabinet incubator has produced chicks. Two different sets of chicks; some from eggs mailed from the central NI during some lovely hot weather, and some from whatever hens of mine were still laying when I was looking to fill the incubator.

From my own hens and my lovely buff with blue columbian markings frizzle roo I got 14 chicks.

And from the inadvisably mailed eggs (which took 3 full days to arrive - thanks NZ post), I got 14 chicks (good, considering 6 did not start to develop):

The mailed chicks are: 4 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 4 Gold Laced Wyandottes, 4 "Blue" laced gold wyandottes (looking positive for blue on two of them), and 2 coronation sussex (bit disappointing; 2 out of 6 when I want to introduce lavender into my "mongrel" line).

Incubator note: love it. Set and forget. The only tricky bit is getting the covered hatching trays out of the second shelf - the space between shelves is really tight. Wouldn't mind some LED strip lights in there too so I can see what's inside it without using my candler as a torch.
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Re: Yet More Chicks

Postby Kracka » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:45 am

Set and forget
dangerous stuff! :lol:
good looking hatch, got my incubator whirring away too, due to candle them in a few days
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Re: Yet More Chicks

Postby Marina » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:04 pm

Oh, you two are keeping busy. Looks like a good hatch to me, Seatil. I've got a hen sitting to hopefully produce a few chicks for a display at the Rare Breeds Auction in Christchurch on March 13th.
Marina
Emu
Emu

Return to My Birds