Ducklings (plus Spot The Odd One Out)

Show off your poultry here!

Ducklings (plus Spot The Odd One Out)

Postby seatil » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:32 pm

Latest hatch of ducklings. Can you spot the odd one out?

A bigger clue (which in itself was a BIG clue):

One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Re: Ducklings (plus Spot The Odd One Out)

Postby Kracka » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:46 pm

gosling?
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:55 pm

its actually a Crested gigantic duckling! :lol:
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby seatil » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:12 pm

Kracka wrote:its actually a Crested gigantic duckling! :lol:

+1

Yeah, it's a gosling. Most likely a girl. Removed from negligent parents - well, mum continued sitting for 7 days after this thing hatched. Dad was not very attentive or protective, and another of our females was having a go at the gosling, so it's been up here with a chick for company the last week or so, and now has some ducklings for company.

The difference in behaviour between a gosling and a duckling is quite remarkable. I appear at the pen, and the ducklings play a game of "how many ducklings fit in a corner", and the gosling just sits there and blinks at you. Take them out of the cage and pop them on the floor - ducklings run a mile, the gosling follows you around - across the lawn, across the driveway. Dangerous game though, as the cats are very very tempted by it.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby sewren » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:04 pm

Love that pile-o-ducks photo :) :) I am seriously considering hatching some ducks at some point. Anyone know of a good online resource that will tell me what breeds are available in NZ....? (Aside from me asking tonnes of questions here, which will probably also happen!)
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby nhb » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:47 am

The breeds are listed in the nz poultry standard
nhb
Quail
Quail

Postby Kracka » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:52 pm

not all the nz poultry standard birds are here though - there's no call type ducks (the bantam sized ones), unless someone is developing them on the quiet!
No Bali's (as far as I know - but you could make them by crossing a Crested with a Runner and then spending another 10 years getting the type right)
I need the standards in front of me to rattle off the ones I don't think are here
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby seatil » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:04 pm

No idea about online resources, but the Silver Appleyards get a big tick from me. Our girls lay 5-6 large white eggs per week. The ducklings grow up fast and big (good if you're into eating your own excess drakes). And of course they're pretty to look at too.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby sewren » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:50 pm

Cheers guys, I ended up looking at the rare breeds website and the silver appleyards stood out as a possible good option so good to hear that confirmed. We would definitely be looking at using them for both eggs and meat.

SO, is there anything I need to know about hatching duck eggs under a chook, anything you need to do differently? And if I normally put 8 chicken eggs under a broody how many duck eggs do you reckon she could handle? Half a dozen...?

Also, something that has always confused me and might be a stupid question - why don't domestic ducks fly away....? Are they just too big for their wings like some larger chooks...? :?
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby seatil » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:58 pm

As a rough idea, my incubator takes 18 size 6-7 hens eggs, but only 12 appleyard eggs. So somewhere between 4 and 6 appleyard eggs, depending on how large your chicken eggs usually are.

Our ducks definitely have the wrong brick : wing ratio for flying. They can glide down a slope, and if pressured will jump and flap a short distance (3-4m) along the flat.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby seatil » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:02 pm

A quick weigh of the eggs in our kitchen: 83-90g for the duck, 72-74g for the hylines.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby sewren » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:24 pm

Sweet cheers, I think I might wait for one of the bigger chooks to go broody so I can get a few more under. Although most of them are untested mothers so not sure starting them on ducks is a good plan - they'll probably be very confused on hatch day! :lol:
sewren

Postby seatil » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:37 pm

sewren wrote:Although most of them are untested mothers so not sure starting them on ducks is a good plan - they'll probably be very confused on hatch day! :lol:

I did a first-timer on ducks. Hatched half under her and half in the incubator, then grafted the incubator lot onto her as well. She spent the next six weeks chasing after them like a headless chook - they completed ignored her when they didn't need her for heat. That was 12 months ago. She hasn't dared go broody since!
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Kracka » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:19 pm

I've had chickens (and a turkey) brood duck eggs, just so long as the hen is big enough to handle the eggs - that's something you'll need to judge

the hens generally look a bit confused when their babies pile into the water (make sure its shallow & easy to climb out of - I found a heavy terracotta saucer makes a good first week(s) paddling pool)

they're messy - they LOVE water & making puddles/digging little holes in the mud

and they can see in the dark - so trying to catch them after dark is a complete waste of time!

I've got Khaki Campbells - brown duck that lays eggs... lots! I don't attempt the eating them, probably not as big as the Silver Appleyards. Baking with duck eggs is just SUPERB
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby seatil » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:03 pm

Because one set of photos is never enough, and a paint tray provides a great photo shoot opportunity...

All pile in!

Too cute not to include:

Water everywhere!

Who invited the Goose?!

Everyone run! It's about to get mega splashy around here!

A wet goose...

And a wet duck...

seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Next

Return to My Birds