The Miracle Chicken!!

Show off your poultry here!

The Miracle Chicken!!

Postby Andrea2 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Meet Peep Peep
This is my sons chicken, he had a rough start and it is a miracle he lived through it!
His Mum was sitting on three fertile eggs that were about 1 day off hatching, that night I heard an almighty noise and went out to the chooks to find Nerys (Mum) huddled on my doorstep (about 10.30 at night). Went to her nest and he was a rather large Hedgehog - one egg opened and dead chick on the ground. I put Nerys back on the nest and settled her in. Hedgehog suffered some fatal injuries!! Next day Nerys still sitting. Day after that, see Nerys wandering around with all the other chooks. I went out to the nest and only one egg there. Poor little chick was half hatched but the egg was stone cold and the membrane dried out like leather as had been sitting in the sun. I picked the egg up and heard a little cheep! I put the egg in the incubator and sprayed it with some warm water. Ended up being an assisted hatch and didn't hold out much hope, but the little fighter survived and is now the most awesome pet.
Andrea2
Quail
Quail

Re: The Miracle Chicken!!

Postby eae » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:48 pm

What a great story - and I love that second pic :)

Is it just the angle of the first photo, or does it have a gigantic beak?!
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Re: The Miracle Chicken!!

Postby Andrea2 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:59 pm

I think it is just the angle of the photo - but the pekins do have a remarkable evil looking beak at that age :lol:
He does have really long feathers on his feet though so will be interesting to see how he grows up. My son wants to put him in the A&P show at the end of the year, but being a mottle/buff I am not sure he can - might have to put him in the "other" colour section! He will be the only junior there anyway!
Andrea2
Quail
Quail

Return to My Birds