can you pick out the different varieties?

Show off your poultry here!

can you pick out the different varieties?

Postby Kracka » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:24 pm

in there there's

7 white leghorns
2 partridge silkies
10 turkeys (2 wild bronze babies, the rest are Royal Palm crossed with a Bronze)

okay, slightly difficult because the photo seems to get chopped off, but I have to look closely to work out who's who, although all will become obvious over time

the two wild bronze turkeys - I was doing early morning spraying & came across what I thought was a dead turkey, till she very slowly stood up & stepped aside to reveal two babies - who, since Ma didn't move fast, decided to freeze, so I scooped them up & continued thistle spraying with them tucked inside my t-shirt. Mother turkey & two friends book booked around the paddock looking for them, making me feel guilty - but chances are she started with a lot more & lost them and a week later they're doing just fine in the brooder - pondering whether to raise them to a decent size and just releasing them?

the rest were planned, although rather surprised to get such yellow looking turkey babies from the first cross of a Royal Palm & bronze mother - but I suspect they'll darken

the Leghorns are from the egg producing lines - not fancy show stuff, just good honest layers (thanks for the contact Marina), so looking forward to them growing up!

and the Silkies, were ummm, just filling up the incubator!

There's 15 Hamburg babies in the brooder next door :shock: and the big incubator is in the process of exploding eggs (or hatching anyway) right now!
I do not count my birds.... but I suspect I need to sell some!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Re: can you pick out the different varieties?

Postby seatil » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:31 pm

Nice bunch of poults and chickens.

I can tell most of them, but a few are not showing their legs, and the legs are the giveaway!
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Kracka » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:52 pm

:lol: yeah, realised that when I studied the photo, but hadn't noticed it with them moving around
just took another one of them during their afternoon nap, no legs at all!

first chick out in the incubator - splash pekin wins the race!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby AlisonS » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:30 am

I thought turkey poults would be noticeably bigger than the chicks, but it's not obvious in the photo at least. Seatil's comment gives me a clue though. Is it the leghorns with the yellow legs and the turkeys with the kind of pink legs??
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby AlisonS » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 am

Do you have fertile turkey eggs Kracka? Or will you next year possibly? My neighbor was looking for eggs or poults to raise.
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Kracka » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:53 am

I am looking after these turkeys for a friend
we only have one hen and as far as I know she's not laying again yet - not sure how many batches a turkey will do in one season? she incubated this lot and then I snatched the babies

I'm just checking if its okay to sell just the bronze looking ones - I think raising 4 might be easier than doing 10!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:55 am

oh yes, Leghorns = yellow, turkeys = pinky
the Leghorns are older by about a week I think? so at the moment, they're holding their own for size, but I suspect that will change soon!

some of the Leghorns are growing bigger combs, they might be easy to sex soon
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:43 am

I have the okay to sell the bronze looking turkeys - I have it written down on the calendar the day the hatched - so I'll need to check that when I get home

2 are wild bronze babies and probably a week older than the rest

4 are from a bronze female crossed with a Royal Palm tom - not sure if it will make any difference to their adult markings, or whether breeding them together would get you any light/white/palm markings in the next generation - I had expected all the babies to come out bronze and my plan was to breed them with a Royal Palm again, hoping the next generation would show that colouring

these guys are currently kept inside but with no heating
feeding them coxi chick crumble

I have Dimetrosol (I think that's the spelling) which is what you put in their water to stop black leg - my plan is to put them on that when they go outside, till they get a bit bigger - so I can share a bit to go with them, as a 'just in case'

think they need to go as a group of 6, they're sensitive little things, I wouldn't want to stress them
if the 'neighbour' is interested PM me
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby AlisonS » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:01 pm

Thanks so much kracka. I've passed on your kind offer. She's not too sure about getting 6! But will checkwith the husband and pm you if she's keen.
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby Kracka » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:09 pm

the Royal Palm crosses hatched 8 Dec - the wild bronze ones I am guessing would probably be a week older
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Kracka » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:30 am

actually thinking about it - it might be better to split the group of 6 and sell as '4 Royal Palm crosses' and then I'll look at what to do with the 2 wild bronze ones - they're a bit bigger than the rest now!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby Abc123 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:50 pm

Hi, I have Pure Royal Palm Rare breed Turkey Eggs for sale, however I am just keeping up with the demand for Eggs peopel seem to like to buy, and may have some poults for sale later on in the year if any on interested?
Abc123
Chick
Chick

Postby wolga » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:00 pm

I would be interested in some Royal Palm turkeys or some eggs.
But can't get them before Christmas. Needs to be in Jan. or Feb.
wolga

Return to My Birds