Goslings

Show off your poultry here!

Goslings

Postby seatil » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:47 pm

Spring is definitely here! So far we've had two lots of turkey poults, one batch of chickens, two lots of ducklings and these goslings:

There are 11 goslings. We did start out with 12, but one died unexpectedly (suspect it may have been squished/suffocated).
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Re: Goslings

Postby Kracka » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:58 pm

cute!

I don't know much about geese, are these a variety where the male is one colour & female is the other?
if so, does that mean you could sex the goslings now??
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby seatil » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:23 pm

They're pilgrim geese, which are auto-sexing. In the adults the females are the brown and white ones and the males are the plain white ones. I haven't had a close look at the babies yet (something about four geese hissing at me if I go close...), but they're supposed to be sexable at this age from the info I can find online.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby sewren » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:24 pm

Oooh goslings are cute! And the mother geese are pretty too. And I'm jealous of all the hatching going on - the first broody after I move house is getting some eggs for sure!!

In the top pic the two littleys are different in colour - is that the auto sexing difference? I can't really see in the bottom picture - some look darker and some paler, but that also seems to correlate with them being in sunlight or not!! :?
Pea (?), Martha (L Sussex), Bess (Australorp), Elsa (Orp), Petal (B'velder), Dottie (Sp Sussex), Olive (Welsummer), Peggy (W Leghorn), Gertie (SLW), Maureen & Doreen (NHB), Hazel & Tilly (SPW), Lilly & Ivy (Orps) and Silver Appleyard ducks!
sewren

Postby seatil » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:10 am

I don't think sex had any bearing on the chick down for these. We ended up with 3 girls and 4 boys from a total of 12 goslings after 5 got themselves killed in various unexpected ways, including one that drowned fully feathered in a cattle drinker.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Return to My Birds