Purty Chick Pics

Show off your poultry here!

Purty Chick Pics

Postby seatil » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:01 pm

First lot of spring chicks have just hatched to a first time mom, daughter of Kracka's hamburgs.

Before we get to the group photo is a chick I'm pretty excited about.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that this little thing has two copies of the mottling gene and hopefully a frizzling gene too.

But there's better:

It comes in blue too. :D

Then there's the really bizarre.

I have no idea what this has come out of. It hatched either from a white egg or a blue egg. White eggs are laid only by Ancona in that group. Blue are laid by 1st gen motzles and one faverolle-ish. I have two very pale cream/white chicks and one slightly yellower, but nowhere near duckling yellow. Roosters are either a buff sussex frizzle or a 1st gen motzle frizzle. I'll be watching these three chicks for sure. Hmm and maybe launching myself back out there pronto to do a toe count to check for faverolle influence. [EDIT: No extra toes on any cream chick] :)

And after that wall of text you can now see the whole family (almost, I think I missed one chick):

And a gratuitous picture of one of July's chicks, a rooster, but very pretty!

Last edited by seatil on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of almost everything, a veritable rainbow of chickens. And Project Motzle.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Re: Purty Chick Pics

Postby Kracka » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:17 pm

did the Hamburg girl hatch all those babies?
I've found the Hamburgs to be good little incubators and baby raisers, they're careful enough with their feet to do a nice job
she's really nicely marked

but the babies are sooo cute, will be interested to see how they develop
I've had a Hamburg crossed with a black bantam & the resulting hen was mostly black but she had something like silver pencilling on the edge - the spots vanished - pretty in her own right
I've also had a first cross with a white leghorn, who as a young pullet was hard to distinguish from the pure Hamburgs (I exhibited her and didn't get a telling off from the judge!) - until she started to lay and her rose comb just kept growing (she had a full set of spots)
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby seatil » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:25 pm

She hatched 12. The other 4 were incubated in parallel in the incubator and added to her brood as her lot hatched.

She's managed to stand on two so far. They'll learn to keep out of the way of mummy's clodhoppers. :D She was a really good broody. Fed and watered herself well. Accepted interference with no more than verbal complaining.

I struggled to differentiate between the four hamburg girls that hatched from your girls eggs. Had no trouble at all finding a home for the two I didn't keep. The two I have kept are identified solely by their leg bands, and for the next few weeks by the presence or absence of chicks. :)
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Kracka » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:22 pm

They'll learn to keep out of the way of mummy's clodhoppers.

We have an Orpy hen sitting - she's probably 4 years old? this is the first time she's really put her heart into it - but I certainly hope those babies keep out of the way of her feet, they're somewhat heavier!
she's sitting on duck eggs, that might be the difference, I suspect she broke an egg a day until they disappeared....
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby seatil » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:38 pm

If she breaks duck eggs try her on goose eggs ;) Those things are near unbreakable. Though I get some really funny visions popping through my brain when I think of our little pekin bantam and goose eggs at the same time. :D

I've got one "light" sussex hen (bigger than our roosters!) that not only stands on her chicks, but also kicks them half way across the coop when she's scratching for food. No casualties yet, but those chicks definitely learn where the danger zone is in front of the hen very quickly!
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Kracka » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:05 pm

I reckon a Pekin bantam on a goose egg would have to climb up onto it & try not to roll off the other side! :lol: would her feet touch the ground?

sounds like you need to make a video of the Light Sussex hen!
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby eae » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:52 pm

Very very cute :) Can I ask what the significance of chick #1 is to your project?

That hamburg is a very pretty hen.. love the pic of her with her gaggle :D
eae
Chicken
Chicken

Postby seatil » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:57 am

eae wrote:Can I ask what the significance of chick #1 is to your project?

It'll be a second generation project motzle. This is the generation where I should start seeing the mottling coming back in approx. 1/4 of the chicks. The down on these two are the closest I've seen to the parent stock Ancona chick down out of the two 2nd gen hatchings I've had. I had a smooth feathered mottled girl hatch 16 weeks ago with black down and a white tum and grey feet - absolutely nothing to distinguish it from its siblings until it started turning spotty around 8 weeks.

The pretty down could be a false alarm, but definitely keeping my eye on these two! Will be tagging the whole batch tonight and getting photos.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby AlisonS » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:44 pm

As an aside here - I have caved in and instead of only getting heavy breed chicks today - have come home with 4 baby Anconas! They were always on my list of "one day I'll have some" and hermitwaihou was so convincing about her favourite egg layers, how could I resist!! Besides, I think they're about the cutest chicks ever, with their spots and speckles. Though my son has fallen for a stripey little Barnie chick - hope it's a girl!! It's a bit tough when there's only one, and all the hopes are riding on that one!
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby seatil » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:25 am

Ancona chicks are very pretty. Have yours got the brown spots on as well as the black and white?
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby AlisonS » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:45 am

Well, not exactly spots. Their backs are brown and the rest of them kind of black spots on cream/pale yellow. Must get some photos. I love their face spots.
AlisonS
Chicken
Chicken

Postby seatil » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Update on these chicks. These two photos are of the first chick who is definitely starting to feather up mottled. The upper plumage should come through with the 14 week moult if it follows the pattern from its grandfather's line.

The blue guy has little hints of possible mottling on its undercarriage, but it's too early to say yet if those will spread across the whole bird. The blue is extremely slow feathering, but also extremely frizzled. I didn't manage to get any adequate photos of it.

The white chick has come out like this (which actually makes sense now that I've applied some thought given the lineage):

seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Kracka » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:41 pm

aaah, now I see what you're aiming for - the white tipping on the frizzle? that's going to be stunning
frizzles.... you really shouldn't let them sit on the electric fence :lol:
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Postby seatil » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:50 pm

Kracka wrote:aaah, now I see what you're aiming for - the white tipping on the frizzle?

That's the one. On both black and blue. I suspect on splash it's going to be a bit invisible, but once we get to the point where we can try that I might just give it a go anyway as the splash frizzles are actually just stunning in and of themselves (http://chez.geek.nz/chooks/BlackAndSplash.jpg - as a youngster, but even more stunning as an adult if that's possible).

Kracka wrote:frizzles.... you really shouldn't let them sit on the electric fence :lol:

Hehe :) We try to keep the chooks away from The Fence. Last thing we want is Fried Chicken. Suspect the cat has also discovered the fence as we saw her squirm through the sheep netting and under the hot wire with extreme caution yesterday.
seatil
Turkey
Turkey

Postby Kracka » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:06 pm

we had a stray cat come up to say hello once - under the fence it came with its tail held up high .....zzzap
I don't think it liked us after that :?
Kracka
Emu
Emu

Next

Return to My Birds